Unknown Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having been in these air chambers: is it possible that the tank valve was inadvertently closed down by contact/rubbing with part of the overhead environment? Maybe while you were chatting to your buddy - were you "bumping" against the roof of the cave?

Easily done, and with four chamber exits a possible, if not probable, cause.

Seadeuce

isn't tank air our most sensitive safety gear?
I don't know, is it? Hey Don, I think the batteries are dead in my smoke alarms. Actually I removed them, they are a big nuisance everytime the power goes off. They interupt my sleep.

But...you are right.
Well, it is to me. I hate that yucky feeling when you hit that last breath on a now empty tank. It's been a long time, but I remember. And now that I now more about CO poisoning going undetected, I'm interested in making sure both tanks are safe.

And - smoke alarms are my home's most important safety gear, I guess. You disabled or removed yours?! :11: If yours sounded when the power failed, I suppose they're hard wired? Mine are self contained powered by 9 volt batteries I change twice a year on the spring and fall equinoxes - since the time change dates have been moved again here, and you don't do them there. I certainly hope you get and maintain new ones; I like one for each bedroom and one for the kitchen. Walmart.com : First Alert 9-Volt Smoke Detector : Appliances $8 each.

..hey I leave my airbag on, does that count?

I think the tank visual would clear a lot up.

It is an air integrated computer but I really don't see how it could be the cause...

Some of my tech diving buddies did mention what they call roll-off from rubbing the valve on the side of the cave but I honestly don't remember ever backing into the cave walls

I do use 40 cu ft stage bottles when penetrating wrecks - and I was and now am more so looking into getting another air source - probably a 6 cu ft bottle - want to avoid any extra bulk because of some long hikes out to the reef and tight swim throughs:)

Thanks for all the input - I'm almost convinced it was a case of a buddy "over helping" and accidently turning the valve the wrong way.

Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I would have check the valve during the safety stop before I surfaced... guess I wasn't thinking too clearly:)

..hey I leave my airbag on, does that count?
I imagine you do whatever you want to in many cases and come out well, but I am still going to post my best suggestions - smoke alarms being among them. But then, I've had one save my butt. :14:
It is an air integrated computer but I really don't see how it could be the cause...

Some of my tech diving buddies did mention what they call roll-off from rubbing the valve on the side of the cave but I honestly don't remember ever backing into the cave walls

I do use 40 cu ft stage bottles when penetrating wrecks - and I was and now am more so looking into getting another air source - probably a 6 cu ft bottle - want to avoid any extra bulk because of some long hikes out to the reef and tight swim throughs:)

Thanks for all the input - I'm almost convinced it was a case of a buddy "over helping" and accidently turning the valve the wrong way.

Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I would have check the valve during the safety stop before I surfaced... guess I wasn't thinking too clearly:)
Jeff, I don't know. You checked your gear; you know more than anyone compared to the suggestions. I guess it's too late for a tank viz? I think Cat is onto the best suspicion and with rental tanks so far from the USCG, USDOT, etc - who knows? It would take a lot of accidental rolling to close off that tank, but I do like mine "all the way" so I know that it's on or off. My regular dive bud turned mine off on the boat check once. I asked him: "You turn screwdrivers every day, all day. How could you?!" :11: But I was glad to know ASAP, not at depth.

If you want a travel pony, compare the 6, 13, 19, and 30 - and go for as much weight as you can accept. A 6 ain't much; I carry a 19 and am glad I do.

I'm almost convinced it was a case of a buddy "over helping" and accidently turning the valve the wrong way.
I think it is very common. It will haunt you for awhile....the not knowing.

While no one looks forward to an "out of air" incident, these experiences when handled properly, make people better divers by raising awareness to the fact that things can go wrong and you need to be able to deal with them.

I'm glad Jeff that your situation turned out ok. Whether or not the tank valve was the culprit, the dialog in this thread certainly makes me think about double checking that prior to the dive.

Thanks for sharing this experience and to all the good comments that followed. Interesting mix of diving backgrounds and philosophies here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom