Unknown Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not want to be in Chandelier Cave sharing air, tight quarters, ugh. That must have been enough to make you a little paranoid. I've had the partially open valve cut me off at 70 ft solo and it shook me up for awhile. *Helpers* can twist your valve as you step off and you never even know. I wonder if doing a viz on the tank would show anything.
I've seen that happen. I like my valve all the way - no 1/4 turn margin to screw up, and have a clear understanding with the deck hands about that. If you have to check it, fine - but I want it all the way open. My home buddy and I do a bubble & gear check at 15 ft on descent and I like to confirm it all the way then, too. I don't ask new, boat pick buddies to mess with my valves tho.
The really odd thing is, the night before a group of us were talking about redundant air sources... hmmm... suddenly the conversation takes on all new meaning:)
They're a hassle but I never leave home diving without my pony. Glad you swam out of it okay....

Was the gauge air integrated?

Am I missing something? No air delivery - temporarily.

In the immortal words of Gene Kranz - "that doesn't sound like instrumentation to me".

I can't see the computer as causative. It does sound like the culprit is an obstruction in the tank valve - pre-first stage (and computer).

wow...that stinks...another reason i always dive with a 19cf backup

The real question, at this point, is did they isolate the cylinder for a visual inspection?

Because where the rubber meets the road, most divers are not going to travel to Micronesia with extra bottles, and I don't see the tour groups providing them any time soon.

Just be glad you were not in the "Temple of Doom" marveling at turtle skeletons.

(More power to those of you who do travel around the world with spare cylinders!)

i take a spare 19 with me and have never had a problem doing it...i just empty the tank and remove the valve and show it to the ticket agent and have never had a problem...

You don't pack as many shoes.

I know, I know..I should. It is hard to break bad habits, when you have a long history of Al 80's only. You are right, absolutely correct.

Still..what is the most desired likely outcome to this, as far as who will be potentailly effected?

He might get a pony. Yet, how many other people are likely to use that tank?

You don't pack as many shoes.

I know, I know..I should. It is hard to break bad habits, when you have a long history of Al 80's only. You are right, absolutely correct.

Still..what is the most desired likely outcome to this, as far as who will be potentailly effected?

He might get a pony. Yet, how many other people are likely to use that tank?
I'm certainly not one to tell you how to dive, and yeah - they're a hassle to carry on every trip, every boarding, every mount-up, every ladder climb, etc. - another 15# at every move, and there's the over weight possibilities. Then I let all know if they need air and can get to me, just grab it. I keep mine on in the water always; don't ask, just grab, I'll understand. I certainly never plan to use it, and it's been a very long time since anyone has - but the same can be said for my home's smoke detectors, still a good idea. I've never used any of my fire extinguishers, but I'll replace any that become undependable.

How much safety does one want in their gear and what is one willing to do to increase it?
$40 Dive Alert whistle? It's no trouble at all; I never leave without it, but I seldom see others with them - or maybe they're so small I don't notice;
$300 pony rig? Now there's hassle, but I'm not going without it;
$140 Carbon Monoxide tester? I am now - fits in the palm of my hand and isn't tank air our most sensitive safety gear?​
You're one of the least possible gear divers I guess, and you can probly swim out of most problems that Murphy throws your way; I like the extra margins on my side.

Hey, I backed out of Chandelier Cave once...too many people groping each other. More gear would not have made me feel better. I don't like crowds in caves.---Just one other guy with another tank, lol.

isn't tank air our most sensitive safety gear?

I don't know, is it? Hey Don, I think the batteries are dead in my smoke alarms. Actually I removed them, they are a big nuisance everytime the power goes off. They interupt my sleep.

But...you are right.

Am I missing something? No air delivery - temporarily.

In the immortal words of Gene Kranz - "that doesn't sound like instrumentation to me".

I can't see the computer as causative. It does sound like the culprit is an obstruction in the tank valve - pre-first stage (and computer).

You are right. I should have re-read the OP.

Back
Top Bottom