(Unknown) Diopter Ring Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone

I notice that some diopter lenses come with an accessory or adapter ring.

What is this for?

I notice it's available with the SMC-1 and AIO 90Pro.

It appears to alter the distance between the diopter and the macro port glass element.

I've attached four pictures.

First two are with the adapter (notice protruding lens).

Latter two are without. In this setup, the diopter lens sits flush with the diopter holder.

So the question, I guess, is, what distance should the diopter be from the macro port glass element?

20240707_120835.jpg

20240707_121035.jpg

20240707_120919.jpg

20240707_120947.jpg

The rear element should be as close to the lens front element as possible. These diopters are made with a protruding rear element in order to compensate for the thickness of an adapter (flip, magnetic, etc) when mounted on such, so that the rear element of the diopter gets as close as possible to the port glass. If you're mounting the diopter directly on the port, without an adapter in the way, then you use the spacer ring, or the rear element of the diopter will bump into the port glass and potentially prevent the threads from engaging.

The rear element should be as close to the lens front element as possible. These diopters are made with a protruding rear element in order to compensate for the thickness of an adapter (flip, magnetic, etc) when mounted on such, so that the rear element of the diopter gets as close as possible to the port glass. If you're mounting the diopter directly on the port, without an adapter in the way, then you use the spacer ring, or the rear element of the diopter will bump into the port glass and potentially prevent the threads from engaging.

Thank you!
Very helpful.
That makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom