Units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe you made an error. 2400L @ 15L/m => 160 min @ surface, not 360. :D

I think you're still missing my point. I said the calculation was easy. You spent a lot of typing to show it is easy (in spite of the error).

But you can do the same thing never using volume units (liters) at all. All you need to do is know your SAC rate in bar/min instead of L/min. For the numbers you cite, it's 1.25 bar/min.

This will be different for different sized tanks, because the pressure/volume conversion is implicit in knowing the SAC. But once you have that number, which you calculate out of the water, you never have to use volume in the calcs again. Just put the SAC in your wetnotes for the several tanks you use. Since I only dive 3 different tanks, I know them by heart and don't have to check. :)

Now you can do all the calculations in pressure units directly. At your specified 5 ATA the DAC is 5 * 1.25 = 6.25 b/min. So 45 bar gives you about 7 minutes.

See how quick that was?

But my point is, if you do the calculation like this using pressure directly, it is just as easy in psi or bar, the only thing different is the numbers. Conversions from/to volume is not necessary at all, and that is the only place where metric has a real advantage when it comes to the very limited set of calculations needed for diving.

I recently dove with someone in the US who was from Europe. He was diving metric.

It was almost trivial. Once I heard what he was diving, I still did all my calcs in my head in imperial (since that is the units I know my SAC in and such of the top of my head), and when I communicated with him, I converted.

Volume never entered into my calculations. It never has to. I worked in pressure.
He probably did his calcs using volume (as you did). It didn't matter. Our communication to each other was in units of distance and time. For distance I just did the feet->meters conversion in my head to talk to him in meters (since he was comfortable with that) and we were golden.

I've traveled and dove with non-DIR metric divers, same thing. Not a real issue.

Scuba has a very limited set of mathmetics that are needed - really really limited. Except when using volume measurements, however, the mathmatical steps are identical between them. Only the numbers are different.

Give me a gauge readig in bar, and my bar/min SAC numbers (I'll put those in my wetnotes today), and I can dive anywhere in the world, because the conversion is already done in calculating my SAC numbers.

This is getting off base. The original question: Should DIR require the same units worldwide? I argue that it isn't necessary. Work in pressure for the calcs, and the specific system of units don't matter. You could work in horse-equivalent-weight-per-fortnight and it would be just as easy.

Now, about the 'black gear' issue... :eyebrow:

I can only plead for mercy as I was posting at work *shhh* I mixed up the factors for 15/20 & 15/10 respectively...

I agree that you can work in pressure, that´s why I posted that line 1-3 & 5 were "automatic", I dive double 15´s so the numbers for double 12´s aren´t for me...

The real problem isn´t during the planning stage, out of the water, but when **** happens and you need to start improvising a solution uw, under time constraints, my limited experience tells me that isn´t easy...Since DIR is a lot about "worst case scenarios" then that is, IMO, a serious concern...

I´m not that into fashion so I don´t bother with the colour thing...for me getting the drysuit in red instead of black was about 200$ extra, it wasn´t worth the cost to me, enough said :D

lamont:
you guys do realize this beats the black-drysuit debate as the most worthless DIR thread ever, right?
Well, sorry you feel that way, I guess you can stop wasting your time on it and leave.

I still am not satisfied with any reasons, to me, lack of familiarity is not a good enough answer, like I said, a lot of things about DIR are not familiar to new DIR divers, it takes actually diving it to be familiar with it, I don't see why you couldn't dive with both until you become comfortable with the chosen set.

To me, it's kinda like building two identical houses, down to the inch, same paint colors, carpet, appliances, everything, but one is wood frame and the other is concrete block.

OneBrightGator:
I still am not satisfied with any reasons, to me, lack of familiarity is not a good enough answer, like I said, a lot of things about DIR are not familiar to new DIR divers, it takes actually diving it to be familiar with it, I don't see why you couldn't dive with both until you become comfortable with the chosen set.
The Team is greater than the whole. So you do what the team is good with. There is no universal truth to be had here.

"Like someone said, for those that do travel further "than the next town over" this is a real issue..."

I think it should be in a Tech divers own interest to be able to know both the imperial and metric systems and be able to use them both on the fly. It is not that difficult with some practice. It is not really an issue, just some initial extra work.

I know GUE instructors that use both systems, and depending on where they teach in the world they use either imperial or metric, all to make it easy for the students. They themselves seem to have no problem using either system.

Anders

globaldiver:
I think it should be in a Tech divers own interest to be able to know both the imperial and metric systems and be able to use them both on the fly. It is not that difficult with some practice. It is not really an issue, just some initial extra work.

If you practice 3 ft stops could this possibly be applicable to diving in metric?

globaldiver:
Why? What would this gain me.

JeffG:
Why? What would this gain me.
Aw c'mon Jeff . . .still smarting up there in America Junior Land over the Stanley Cup?
(Hey, the Oilers came back and took it to the Seventh Game!) I'll gladly dive metric with you when y'all come on down here for a trip . . .you hoser:D !

Kevrumbo:
Aw c'mon Jeff . . .still smarting up there in America Junior Land over the Stanley Cup?
(Hey, the Oilers came back and took it to the Seventh Game!) I'll gladly dive metric with you when y'all come on down here for a trip . . .you hoser:D !
Make sure you bring the beer and I will bring the Back bacon.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom