Units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
Yeah, tell it to NASA. :wink:

Not an imperial units problem and not a metric problem. The problem was the two institutions software not converting one to the other. This actually makes my point. Let people work in their own units and they don't have to convert back and forth.

radinator:
I'll have to look. Perhaps it's poorly written. :D

I have a 3500 psi HP100 tank (which is 100 cubic feet at 3500 psi).

If I have 1800 psi in it, I have approximately 50 cubic feet.
If I have 1000 psi, I have 2/7th of 100, or 28 cubic feet.
If I have 500, I have 1/7th, of 100, which is 14.
This was done as fast as I can type, no calculator. It's trivial.

I have doubles of 12 liter. With 100 bar I have 2400 liters of gas. (not approximately. No divisions by 7...)

radinator:
Not an imperial units problem and not a metric problem. The problem was the two institutions software not converting one to the other. This actually makes my point. Let people work in their own units and they don't have to convert back and forth.

What if I want to dive with someone that uses metric?

first you need to get tank manufacturers in the US to sell tanks in L of water volume and bar of fill pressure.

Reinoud:
I have doubles of 12 liter. With 100 bar I have 2400 liters of gas. (not approximately. No divisions by 7...)

And what does a liter of gas get you? How much do you use for each breath? (Since you don't want to approximate, please assure me every breath is identical...) If your SPG says 45 bar from your rock bottom, how long do you have at depth?

It's not a difficult calculation because in metric the pressure/volume conversion is easy.

Working in imperial pressure directly is just as easy, and you can compare directly against the SPG. No conversion to tank volume is necessary. That's already taken care of by knowing your SAC rate in psi/min.

My point is, sure, you CAN calculate in volume. I can also calculate in pressure, and it's just as easy.

dherbman:
What if I want to dive with someone that uses metric?

In that case, the TEAM should decide to use specific units.

What if a metric diver wants to dive with two people who are using imperial? Should he convert or should they?

It's also easier to convert the result of calculations, than to have someone convert every step of the calculations to their 'non-native' units.

I'd be curious what the traveling GUE/DIR instructors have to say about this, since they would probably have to work in one system one week and the other system the next week.

you guys do realize this beats the black-drysuit debate as the most worthless DIR thread ever, right?

Originally Posted by lamont
first you need to get tank manufacturers in the US to sell tanks in L of water volume and bar of fill pressure.
No, you just need to convert it once for every tank you buy. Most manufacturers actually have both listed on their websites...

Originally Posted by radinator
And what does a liter of gas get you? How much do you use for each breath? (Since you don't want to approximate, please assure me every breath is identical...) If your SPG says 45 bar from your rock bottom, how long do you have at depth?

It's not a difficult calculation because in metric the pressure/volume conversion is easy.

Working in imperial pressure directly is just as easy, and you can compare directly against the SPG. No conversion to tank volume is necessary. That's already taken care of by knowing your SAC rate in psi/min.

My point is, sure, you CAN calculate in volume. I can also calculate in pressure, and it's just as easy.

1: SAC rate in metric is in liters/min. Say you have a SAC of 15 liters/min
2: Your tank will last you 2400/10=240+120=360 minutes @ surface.
3: 45bar is roughly 1/5 of 200.
4: 360*0,2=72 minutes. (a bit of a margin of safety is good anyways)
5: 72/ata of your depth (say 40meters=5 ata)=72/10/2=3,6 minutes.

You have 3,6 minutes if there´s 45 bars left until rockbottom on a single 12l @ 40m.
If you´re diving doubles you have 7,2 minutes.

Rows 1 to 3 are easy and "automatic". So is row 5.
The only "real" calculation taking place is row 4 and even that´s hardly "advanced".

Some of the formulas are "harder" than they need to be but I did them in my head, as I was typing, this is just the way I think...

Like someone said, for those that do travel further "than the next town over" this is a real issue...

Oops, double post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom