Units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah--18.2m means nothing to me, but 60fsw does. :)

However I could use either/or in the long run if I just had a little practice. In the long run it's just numbers and units.

Does anyone see an advantage to the increased resolution of digital depth gauges when in metric mode?

Peo:
Because there is no depth gauge on the market that measure depth in ATAs.

Actually, the unit of one ATA is one bar, approx 14.7lbs. Technically, in the metric system, a pressure gauge reads barg (bar-gauge), when doing calculations you'd have to use bara (bar-absolute).

Herb, I'll be trying out my computer in metric this weekend in preparation for heading back to Europe. (Sorry, I'm not "DIR" but I do like some of your ideas, and methods and thought I'd make comment)

speedhound:
Actually, the unit of one ATA is one bar, approx 14.7lbs.
Close, but not exact. One standard atmosphere is 1013.25 millibar.
Not everyone uses the same definitions for 1atm, fsw, and msw, but the most common definitions are 33fsw=1atm and 10msw (meters saltwater) = 1 bar.

Obviously, for most purposes, the 1.3% difference doesn't matter.

As for feet to meter conversions, I find it easier to go the "wrong" way ----- multiply 60' by 3 to get 18 meters for example, and divide 24 meters by 3 to get 80'. Yeah, there is a decimal place to move around, but it's pretty obvious, and I find it easier than trying to multiply or divide by 3.3, or multiply or divide by 3, and then add or subtract another 10%.

Just to throw out another tidbit, bar is not an SI unit. The Pascal is the SI unit. 1 bar is 100,000 Pascal or 10 bar is 1 megaPascal. I doubt that anyone goes into a shop asking if they can fill to 35 megaPascal, but with time that will probably change, just the same way that in electronics most will now say 10 nanofarad rather than what used to be commonly called .01 micro-microfarad.

dherbman:
Does anyone see an advantage to the increased resolution of digital depth gauges when in metric mode?

I don't know what you're talking about.

Walter:
I don't know what you're talking about.

Metric mode reads at .1 meter increments. You will see a depth change for every 4" or 3x the resolution of imperial mode.

Really? Thanks for the info. That's amazing, but totally unnecessary to be that precise, OTOH with metric, I can see why they do it as meters are not precise enough. I'll stick with Imperial, although I may switch my computer over to metric for a dive or two just to watch it display in .1 meter increments. I have a depth guage that will keep my mind straight.

I make sure that I go slow enough to see every .1 meter increment from 3m (9ft) on my ascent...I don´t think its necessary but I believe it to be good practice...

But can you hold those 4" stops :wink:

grazie42:
I make sure that I go slow enough to see every .1 meter increment from 3m (9ft) on my ascent...I don´t think its necessary but I believe it to be good practice...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom