Units of Measure in Diving?

What units of measure do you use most (not necessarily prefer) in diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an easy question

I have a 80 cu tank
I begin at 2320 psi and end at 1160 psi
i dive at 32.8 feet during 20 min
i don't have a calculator
what is my SAC in imperial ?

now, do it with
a 11.1 L tank
i begin at 160 bar and end at 80 bar
i dive at 10 m during 20 min
i don't have a calculator
what is my SAC in metric ?

That's not an easy question. The first part can't be answered, since you haven't stated the nominal pressure of the tank (the pressure at which it contains 80 cu.ft. Consequently you have no way of knowing how much air is compressed into the tank at 2350 psi.

The second has a solution but I can't be bothered.

Beers per unit Dive > 6 = 0 dives
Wife agravation in blood pressure / weather.
tequilla is measured in Proof I believe so it is proof that you can or cant dive.
mellow = dives / days >= 3 is good.
$/dives <=$20 is great 40 is acceptable and >50 is not so good.
Time per dive is a great unit of measure, anything > 60 is awesome.
Other less used units in diving
family members per trip
sealife / dives
and the inverse relationship of psi to surface time.
:D
Edit: I forgot the unit of Sac. It is higher when you have to dive in bad weather or in a cave but usually low if women are diving with you. (no offense to women of course).

That's not an easy question. The first part can't be answered, since you haven't stated the nominal pressure of the tank (the pressure at which it contains 80 cu.ft. Consequently you have no way of knowing how much air is compressed into the tank at 2350 psi.
ok
i'm not familiar with imperial pressure
if I say 80 cu at 3000 psi, is it ok ?

in metrics, it's easier
by saying 11.1L beginning at 160 bar, it doesnt' matter if it is a low pressure (200-230 bar or a high pressure (300 bar)

It's not imperial, because Britain doesn't do it this way. It's just America and American-dominated regions (the Caribbean for example). Instead of measuring a tank's capacity according to how much water can be poured into it, the way that France, Britain and most of the world does it, they measure the volume of air at "standard" conditions (sea level, 20c, etc) that it takes in filling it to its nominal rated pressure. If the tank is rated for over-pressure (a "+" sign after the pressure stamped on the shoulder) then that rated pressure will be 10% higher than the value stamped. So for example, if you have an aluminium tank stamped with 3300 psi (or more likely just 3300) and there is a plus sign after the 3300 then that tank does not reach its stated rated capacity until it has been pressurised to 3300+10% = 3630 psi. If the tank has a stated capacity of 80 cu.ft. then that will only be achieved at that pressure of 3630 psi. If it is in fact pumped to 3000 psi it will only contain 80 * 3000 / 3630 cu.ft., or just over 66 cu.ft. Rather over 3/4 of what you thought it contained.

This has nothing to do with the units chosen, so in the above example the pressure could be denoted in bar and the volume in litres. But as it is a practice only found in the American sector it makes sense for normal American units to be used.

It's not imperial, because Britain doesn't do it this way. It's just America and American-dominated regions (the Caribbean for example). Instead of measuring a tank's capacity according to how much water can be poured into it, the way that France, Britain and most of the world does it, they measure the volume of air at "standard" conditions (sea level, 20c, etc) that it takes in filling it to its nominal rated pressure. If the tank is rated for over-pressure (a "+" sign after the pressure stamped on the shoulder) then that rated pressure will be 10% higher than the value stamped. So for example, if you have an aluminium tank stamped with 3300 psi (or more likely just 3300) and there is a plus sign after the 3300 then that tank does not reach its stated rated capacity until it has been pressurised to 3300+10% = 3630 psi. If the tank has a stated capacity of 80 cu.ft. then that will only be achieved at that pressure of 3630 psi. If it is in fact pumped to 3000 psi it will only contain 80 * 3000 / 3630 cu.ft., or just over 66 cu.ft. Rather over 3/4 of what you thought it contained.

This has nothing to do with the units chosen, so in the above example the pressure could be denoted in bar and the volume in litres. But as it is a practice only found in the American sector it makes sense for normal American units to be used.

This is a unique take on American standards. Not true.

An AL80 pumped to 3000 psi will have 77 cu ft of air.
AL tanks do not use the "+" marks, nor do most of the newer steel tanks.

One aspect that concerns me is tank capacity measurement. Here what changes between the US-dominated sphere and the rest of the world is not particularly the units used, but what actually is being measured.
Instead of measuring a tank's capacity according to how much water can be poured into it, the way that France, Britain and most of the world does it, they measure the volume of air at "standard" conditions (sea level, 20c, etc) that it takes in filling it to its nominal rated pressure... This has nothing to do with the units chosen...

I thought about this as soon as I read this thread. The three comments quoted above point out what is, to me, a bigger problem than just units of measurement. Sure, I wish the units were uniform, but at least I can easily convert between metric and imperial units and get a "feel" for each - for example, 33'~10m~1atm/bar is pretty intuitive to me. But tank capacity across systems is way out of whack.

Call me an Imperialist pig, but it just seems to make more sense to talk about a tank in terms of its capacity at rated pressure - because that's what we're using it for - than to talk about how much liquid it can hold - because the basic idea is to not get ANY liquid into them at all! I don't really care whether we're talking litres or cubic feet; might as well standardize on litres. But before we standardize the units, we should first standardize what it is we're measuring!

I do all my dive calculations in binary.

LOL! Yes, but even in binary, you still must assign units of measurement. However, I do have a t-shirt that says:

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

:D

Call me an Imperialist pig, but it just seems to make more sense to talk about a tank in terms of its capacity at rated pressure - because that's what we're using it for - than to talk about how much liquid it can hold - because the basic idea is to not get ANY liquid into them at all! I don't really care whether we're talking litres or cubic feet; might as well standardize on litres. But before we standardize the units, we should first standardize what it is we're measuring!
OK
I have a 15L filled at 230 bar and I breathe at 15L/min in surface.
So i can breathe 15*230/15 equals 230 min

give me the same calculation in imperials to demonstrate me the facility.
with a S100 at 3000psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom