Unit compatibility (DIR practitioners invited)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This will explain why you went straight to $ & cents instead of using LSD. :)

Eh, Kern, better make sure they know that LSD means pounds (L) shillings (S) and pence (D) not any kind of illegal substance....:wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling

Oddly enough, though Canada is nominally metric, many of us use a confusing mishmash of kilometres for driving distance, litres for gasoline, celsius for temperature, grams for buying cheese or meat, but inches and feet for buying lumber, socket wrenches in increments of inches, and anything imported from the States will of course be in ounces....

And much of the dive computers and dive courses are in imperial.....PSI, feet in depth, temperature in fahrenheit, river speed in knots, etc....

Last edited:
If diving in mixed (methods of measurment) company the pre-dive conversation would something like this:
Me: I see you are measuring in BAR vs PSI.
Him: Yep.
Me: What BAR do you want to finsh you dive with?
Him: Around 30-40 BAR, What about you and your PSI?
Me: I like 500-600 PSI when IÃÎ done.
Him: Cool.

The depth disccusion follows the same theme. It just basic communication, forget the math.

If diving in mixed (methods of measurment) company the pre-dive conversation would something like this:
Me: I see you are measuring in BAR vs PSI.
Him: Yep.
Me: What BAR do you want to finsh you dive with?
Him: Around 30-40 BAR, What about you and your PSI?
Me: I like 500-600 PSI when IÃÎ done.
Him: Cool.

The depth disccusion follows the same theme. It just basic communication, forget the math.

Have you been listening in on our dive briefings Big Brother? :mooner:

I don't use it because I grew up stateside but I always thought it was stupid that we never went metric. So yes, I'm used to imperial and when I'm across the seas I have a bit of trouble converting on the fly... or when talking to non-U.S. born relatives and friends... but for diving, I always thought imperial was better only because it's in smaller increments. ie 1m = 3.2ish feet and 1 bar =14.5ish psi... so you can be slightly more accurate? I guess? sorta... no? okay... x_X

I don't use it because I grew up stateside but I always thought it was stupid that we never went metric. So yes, I'm used to imperial and when I'm across the seas I have a bit of trouble converting on the fly... or when talking to non-U.S. born relatives and friends... but for diving, I always thought imperial was better only because it's in smaller increments. ie 1m = 3.2ish feet and 1 bar =14.5ish psi... so you can be slightly more accurate? I guess? sorta... no? okay... x_X

Hmmm, well the dive tables go in ten foot increments, which is pretty close to 3 meters, so really, I don't think the smaller increment of imperial measurements are all that necessary. I mean if you hit 51 feet you have to plan for 60 anyway.

I agree that it is stupid we are not metric like everyone else.:shakehead: Even worse, having to buy two sets of wrenches and sockets, when we really only should have the need for one...

Not sure about that. My computer reads out in 10cm increments or 1 ft increments. 10cm is 4 inches. And pressures, people seem to read in 50 psi increments maybe and 5 bar or so, so no real difference there either.

Well that'd actually be precision and not accuracy :wink: That'd really boil down to the equipment and your ability to read it.

FWIW my computer can switch back and forth between the two sets. It is up to me to know how to interpret the numbers.

Sas: Great chart.

Today, the current temp here is somewhere between "************COLD" and "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!" :)

Everyone else - this thread really went way off from the intent of the original post. It was NOT to say what a generic someone SHOULD do, let alone tell ME what I should do. It was asking you YOU ACTUALLY DO - and to a lesser degree, what the DIR standard is. That's all.

If I die because I don't know how many teaspoons are in a cup (fluid or solid?), well, that's all on me.

So people in the U.S. should force themselves to use a screwy measurement system just because the country is backward, relative to the rest of the planet? Screw that :)

It goes on and on, some people prefer our US System. I am trained in both and prefer the US system for casual use and loath the metric system for carpentry and sheet metal work or distance measuring. Metric is great for calculations because all you do is move the decimal place around but it is not very intuitive.

No thanks on the metric, prefer our system, after all, the USA is still the largest economy in the world by several factors, maybe y'all should switch.

GNP - Gross National Product @ Countries of the World

I would dive with whatever system they want.

Killer Wasps In Your Toyota: Why The Metric System Sucks

N

Back
Top Bottom