Unit compatibility (DIR practitioners invited)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of SPGs are dual units as are some depth gauges. Time is time. If you are using a computer, you can switch units but you would still need to grasp approximate conversions. Close enough: 1 bar = 15 psi, 1m = 3.3 ft or just multiply by 3 and add 10%

The US will NEVER convert to metric. It's just to euro-centric for us to consider.

Richard

The US will NEVER convert to metric. It's just to euro-centric for us to consider.
I blame it on sports, specifically football. No one wants to change all the playing fields and specifications for equipment - let along convert all the records to be compatible with the new standards.

Overall, to convert everything, it would cost trillions of dollars.

But I'm doing my part :)

So people in the U.S. should force themselves to use a screwy measurement system just because the country is backward, relative to the rest of the planet? Screw that :)
I'm not sure which system you are referring to as the "screwy measurement system". Imperial or metric? :D
:popcorn:

I'm not sure which system you are referring to as the "screwy measurement system". Imperial or metric? :D
Imperial, of course :)

I mean, look here:

A fluid ounce is a unit of volume. There are 16 fluid ounces (US) to the pint (US). A dry ounce is a unit of weight. There are 16 dry ounces to the pound. Frequently, the words fluid and dry are omitted. You have to know whether you're talking about volume or dry weight.
Fluid ounce? Dry ounce?

A gallon is how many quarts? Which is how many pints? Which is how many ounces?? What is it? Hell, I can't memorize all that stuff. But I can divide or multiply by 10 pretty easily.

OK, a miles 5,280 feet. I know that one. But 5280? Why 5280?
And oh yeah, then we have nautical miles. I dunno how many feet it is, but I know it's not 5280.

But I know 1 km is 1000 m, no matter if you are measuring while driving, flying, or floating :)

Imperial, of course :)

I mean, look here:

Fluid ounce? Dry ounce?

A gallon is how many quarts? Which is how many pints? Which is how many ounces?? What is it? Hell, I can't memorize all that stuff. But I can divide or multiply by 10 pretty easily.
You don't have to convince me. I grew up with metric. I was just yanking your chain :D:coffee:

NudeDiver:
So people in the U.S. should force themselves to use a screwy measurement system just because the country is backward, relative to the rest of the planet? Screw that :)

Backward? Well, something is backward.

Use whatever system you like, but your life will be easier if you understand whatever system is generally used where ever you happen to be. If you decide you don't want to know the system commonly in use where you are, don't expect those situations in which understanding of other's measurements to be easy for you. By not understanding, you hurt no one except yourself. Be stubborn if you like. No one is likely to care - except you.

And oh yeah, then we have nautical miles. I dunno how many feet it is, but I know it's not 5280.

1 nm = 6076.1 feet = 1852 meters = 1.1508 statute miles

One minute of latitude = 1 nm
60 minutes of latitude = 1 degree of latitude =60 nm
360 degress of latitude = 21600

At least all countries agree on nautical miles for sea and air travel.

Richard

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom