Unit compatibility (DIR practitioners invited)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• jan-8-2009.jpg
    jan-8-2009.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
I'll never use metric!

oh, wait ... I just drank a 2 liter container of soda :D

Now to answer the op's questions.

a). Is it typical for buddy teams of "different units" to buddy together (think charter or something) and each dive in their own units? Fairly common on Roatan, when I was there the divemaster gave briefings including both measurement systems, I actually switched between metric and imperial on a few dives

b). Is it more typical for someone to adjust to the other person's units? It might be - either way it's not too difficult

c). What if they have gauges that are not bi-calibrated?Then the superior system, being imperial of course, should be used:lotsalove:Actually it shouldn't be that hard to work things out between divers using different units

d). Is it DIR for buddy teams to be using different units? Do you mandate everyone be on the same units?I wouldn't know

e). Will you refuse to dive with a buddy who uses different units and refuses to switch to yours?No

f). Is this just a ridiculous issue that I shouldn't even consider?It's not ridiculous - but it shouldn't be an "issue" that would stop you from making a dive

I cant see how or why it matters.?

I am a metric diver, all my gear is metric, yet I dive regularly in the USA and most of the folk on the boat use Imperial, nobody has ever asked me to convert, and I have never asked anybody to do so either, why would we?

I know the metric tables (or use a computer) and I assume the others know the Imperial version, (or use a computer) if I see I am deeper than I wanted to go, I convey this to the others around me and ascend, I would expect no less from the others there, ultimately you are responsible for yourself, if you prefer diving with Metric or Imperial equipment is immaterial to others, as long as you dive responsibly.

I find the easiest way to use the factor 3.33333 is to go a factor of three in the "wrong direction", then adjust 1 decimal point.

For example, although meters are bigger than feet, I divide 12 meters by 3 to get 4, then adjust one decimal point to get 40'.

Going the other way: 100' x 3 = 300. Drop a decimal place to get 30 meters.

Conversion to imperial is not something you probably have to do very often, but going the other way is something I do often, since that's the easiest way to go from fsw to atm and ata.

Thanks for this idea Charlie. Quite useful. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom