Union Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the west coast, you go to a diving company that is union and apply for work, then they sign you on at the hall. Or, you go to the hall and sign on as an apprentice pile driver/dock builder and look for work through the union book and around the harbor with union companies.

Inshore work is great, there can be big money in it, I mean nothin like sat or anythig, but you can roll wit the offshore air divers, thing is that you usually wont make the same hours as they do but they are on a offshore rig.
Anyways inland honestly your looking at a range anywhere from 15 - 75 or so an hour, the most I made was 125 a hour but that was a sweet lil overtime weekend gig on a union job.
Now those lower pay scales are gonn be for non union companies, unless your working as a highly specialized diver such as Nuke work or HazMat ****. You can get into good paying non union gigs doing that stuff. As for the U/W Construction and inspection game, then your best off trying for a union. It depends on where you live because diffrent juristctions have diffrent unions reprisenting divers. so It might have nothing to do with the dockworkers. Your gonna have to do a lil reserch.
As a union lad your looking in the price range anywhere from 35-75 wet pay, now this depends on a couple things as well, your union and your senoirity, if you been in the union and diving longer then your gonna get rases alog the way.
If you wanna make a career as an inshore diver then a union is a good way to go, now it takes some time usually to get into it especially these days where the work is tight. If there was lots of work they migt open a few union spots but at the moment thats just not the case.
Or you can freelace yourself out to companies as well, that might work, I know a few divers, that do that and they wont work for less then 700 a day minimum, but let me tell you one thing about these guys before you set yourself on that idea, they have boxes full of used up log books at home we are talking well over several thousand dives here and certification books thicker then some phone books, so these are real big dick swinging dudes here.
If your thinking between lineman and diver I suggest lineman, diving has a 90 percent washout rate and there is a reason for it, only the strong and "****ed in the head" survive. If your wating to just get into it for the money then again become a lineman becuase in diving there is none, we like to joke if you wanna have a million dollars ComDiving start with 2 :)
Goodluck
p.s.
The boys on Offshorediver.com are alright they just can smell a scoobydoo diver a mile away cause they all ask the same question, they are just a hard ol offshore bunch

thanks for all the advice and so you know thewils i am not interested in it for the money ive been interested in it for a long time now but i heard work is very scarce and the lineman thing is plan B for me cuz i can get a job in it because i have connections in that field

I took test and two interviews for Boston Pile drivers said I could start apprentiship training but could guarantee me 0 work. They start out 15 ish. They top out 40 ish, when you work everybody has a load of guys out, every trade union i hear of has half or better of workforce out and many havent taken apprentices in a year or two. Ill tell you what everybody else asks me about commercial diving, get letters after your name then dive certs. Good luck in all of your endeavors. :D

If you have an 'in' on a lineman job, take it man! It's better pay and way better working conditions. Power companies pay well, have actual benefits, and you might even still be able to score a pension plan. It's steady employment with a pay check every week.

Major oil company that's union? Good luck there Darol. No Major oil company wants anything to do with union divers. Just curious, what makes you want to work inshore and union Heavy D?

Major oil company that's union? Good luck there Darol. No Major oil company wants anything to do with union divers.

No luck needed been with a union Oil Co for the past 25 yrs.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom