Union Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HEAVYD120

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello, I am very interested in the commercial diving field and want to work inland for a union. I was wondering what the wages and how hard it is to find work so if someone could let me know i would appreciate it. It either commercial diver or power lineman advice would be great

Union diving is a tough business to break into first you need to get into the union then put your time in as a tender if they have any spots open after they run a class, then you start diving, it is a long slow process.

Looking for the Big Buck? Hire in with a major oil company, that's Union.
Now you got a future.
If not, start your own dive business. Then you make the calls, and the money.
Inland divers weve had at our refinery don't make squat.

look up you local dockbuilders union that is were most of the union inland divers come from. You can become an apprentence dockbuilder and work you way in to the diving end of the field. Also you should know these guys are not diving every day. Some unions pay a diver two different wages one when they diver or "wet wage" and one on days they dont dive "Dry wage" In NJ a diver makes about 48 an hour not including benifits

look up you local dockbuilders union that is were most of the union inland divers come from. You can become an apprentence dockbuilder and work you way in to the diving end of the field. Also you should know these guys are not diving every day. Some unions pay a diver two different wages one when they diver or "wet wage" and one on days they dont dive "Dry wage" In NJ a diver makes about 48 an hour not including benifits

Just curious do you know the difficulty in gettn into the union to become an apprentice diver

most of the time you wont start out as an apprentis diver you will start out as a apprentis dockbuilder and work you way in to becoming a diver. It may take time but as a dockbuilder you learn a lot of hands on skills that you will use under water. Like concreat form work, welding, dock and piling construction and how to use the tools of the trade. With the offshore industy being flooded with green divers and very little work I would recomend the inshore stuff. At lease when there is no work for a diver you can still work on the suface as a dockbuilder. Some money is better then no money. As an inshore diver you will not make the big buck like offshore but the work is more steady and you dont have to go to far from home.

Get in to any union take time it is good to meet some of the guys in the certain union you are looking to get in to. Then you have to wait until the union opens its books and allows for new members. Some union require you to take basic mechanical ability tests to see if it is worth teaching you. Then you will start school and work at the same time. Most of the time as a first year apprentice you will do all the hard labor work and small stuff not to technical. Once you get started the best advice I can give you is MOUTH CLOSED AND EARS OPEN. Go to work every day willing to learn and the senior guys will show you the ropes. When you work on jobs with divers ask them how can I get in to that side of thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom