Unidentified Wing (San Diego, California)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's an F-4, it's engine bleed air for boundary layer control, not fuel lines.
Hey, I learned something new today!

I found this plan view semi-cutaway of the F-4. The main wing section seems to be an excellent match for the object:
f4.jpg

It isn’t an illusion. It definitely has more of a delta style wing shape.

Brett
Well, if that is part of the trailing edge of the wing, it definately can't be from an F-86.

Others brought up F4 but I originally dismissed that because of the size. You had estimates of 40-50 foot.
The F4 has a VERY distinctive wing with up turned tips. Overall wingspan with those is 38'4". If the tips are removed or folded the wingspan is reduced to 27'7". Underwater sizes get distorted so maybe it got misjudged.

I would examine the wing tips and see if they are complete, missing/damaged, or continue under the sand and if they have that upturned angle of an F4. Also, measure the wingspan and see what the real numbers are, that will tell you a lot. There were F4's converted to target drones so the drone theory may be right still.

I have tried included a picture I found (don't remember where) but it shoes the underside of an F4 with wing tips folded and you can visualize your wing over what you see and it's almost a perfect match. Sorry, it's small as I am on a horrible connection.

If the measurements match up with published wingspan data then it's probably the F4 as others have said.

Good uck. Let us know the outcome of your mystery.

Attachments

• f4.jpeg
    f4.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 63
Here's another entry into the possible identification of the mystery wing. It's probably an F4 like others started but if the measurements come up short maybe a T-38.

I attached a picture from Smithsonian magazine that looked interesting. I don't know if the T-38 had engine bleed air lines, if that's what the pipes on the leading edge of your wing are, but the shape is very similar.

T-38 wingspan was 25'3" according to af.mil. and i guess the wing tips would be finished and not ripped off if you fanned away the sand.

Good luck.

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_102043925~2.jpg
    PXL_20220425_102043925~2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 57
Here's another entry into the possible identification of the mystery wing. It's probably an F4 like others started but if the measurements come up short maybe a T-38.

I attached a picture from Smithsonian magazine that looked interesting. I don't know if the T-38 had engine bleed air lines, if that's what the pipes on the leading edge of your wing are, but the shape is very similar.

T-38 wingspan was 25'3" according to af.mil. and i guess the wing tips would be finished and not ripped off if you fanned away the sand.

Good luck.

Thanks for the post!

We definitely need to get back at some point and measure the wing to help identify it. We have a few other projects going on right now (just found a new airplane wreck yesterday) but at some point we'll get back there.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom