unidentified underwater object

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbellman

Registered
Reaction score
diving about 8 miles nw of tower sun in low vis 10- 15 ft on a low revlief ledge i came across an object buried in the sand - initially thought it was a scuba tank aprox same diameter as an 80 alum, the bottom was flat with
curved edges and a couple inches up from the bottom was a collar or ring
about an inch wide - after digging around a bit i found that it was much longer than a 80 alum tank it seemed to be wedged up under a large rock
i ran out of time to dig and futher.
the object was either aluminum or stainless - no corrosion or barnicles on it - may have been uncovered during the last storm or maybe it hasn't been there long

any ideas what this might be ? could not identify any markings on it.
think possibly it might be a weight attached to some sumerged sonar unit ?

I don't think that a weight would be made of stainless or aluminum, it almost sounds like a marker bouy of some sort, except that those are usually made of plastic.

Let us know as soon as you find out more!

-McGill

Projectile from the navy. 5" 38 ?.....

PS I wouldn't beat on it

Care to draw us a picture?
You can find some really oddball stuff underwater, usually anything within 25 miles of a shore or bank can find its way underwater.
You should see the collection of stuff from a few dives in the Edison Soo power canal; bicycles, parking meters, shopping carts, guns, a couple of swords...

Isn't that the coast the navy lost a nuke on years ago and never found :)

P.S. tact nukes are usually brushed stainless or can have a red and black design :)

Imagine if it was a NUKE. It would definately be worth a heck of a lot of money. :light:

Central Fla:
Isn't that the coast the navy lost a nuke on years ago and never found :)

P.S. tact nukes are usually brushed stainless or can have a red and black design :)

If it was, that would make it the COOLEST find on SB yet!!!

Oh, and I DEFINTITELY wouldn't want to bang on THAT!

:no

Back
Top Bottom