Undeserved hit to inner ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that this thread was revived recently, so it may be time for an update on what happened afterwards.

First of all, my apologies for getting the dive site wrong. The dive was actually at a site about 300 m away from the one I described, which is an easy walk from a car park. So post-dive exercise was not a factor. This does not invalidate comments to this effect, of course.

Second, while no "definitive" diagnosis was given, the consensus among doctors who examined my friend was that the accident was most probably not DCI. The most likely explanation was that he had a small calculus in his inner ear, which came loose as a results of pressure changes during the dive. Other possibilities are not excluded, but DCI was pretty much ruled out.

Finally, my friend has fully recovered and resumed diving about six weeksa after the incident. He is on track to pass his level 3 certification this summer.

vjongene:
I saw that this thread was revived recently, so it may be time for an update on what happened afterwards.

First of all, my apologies for getting the dive site wrong. The dive was actually at a site about 300 m away from the one I described, which is an easy walk from a car park. So post-dive exercise was not a factor. This does not invalidate comments to this effect, of course.

Second, while no "definitive" diagnosis was given, the consensus among doctors who examined my friend was that the accident was most probably not DCI. The most likely explanation was that he had a small calculus in his inner ear, which came loose as a results of pressure changes during the dive. Other possibilities are not excluded, but DCI was pretty much ruled out.

Finally, my friend has fully recovered and resumed diving about six weeksa after the incident. He is on track to pass his level 3 certification this summer.

Good to hear. Best wishes. What is a calculus though?
Santa

Back
Top Bottom