underwater writing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello im trying to fin underwater paper but i cant find it. if anybody knows a brand or were to buy plz make me know thankz for advance.

hello im trying to fin underwater paper but i cant find it. if anybody knows a brand or were to buy plz make me know thankz for advance.
Three options (besides slates) come to mind: 1. Ritchie Wet Notes (www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=10910F). I use them, and have had good experience, and haven't noticed the paper quality issue Randy mentions; 2. Dive Rite markets the Dive wRrites Underwater Notebook (www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/slates.shtml). Very functional; 3. Halcyon's Diver's Notebook (www.halcyon.net/acc/accessories02.shtml#notebook). Rather expensive, compared to the other two. But, I REALLY like the binder. And you can replace the notebook insert (although Halcyon is rather proud iof it, judging by the price).

Last edited:
I use Dura Rite notebooks from Rite in the Rain...
I'd post the url but Scubaboard says I have to make some more posts first.
Just Google Dura Rite.
><)))'>

I use Dura Rite notebooks from Rite in the Rain...
I'd post the url but Scubaboard says I have to make some more posts first.
Just Google Dura Rite.
><)))'>
I just wrap a couple of sheets of DuraRite paper around my signal mirror, held in place with a rubber band that also secures a pencil that I tie to the mirror. I just leave it in my BCD pocket permanently and don't even take it out to rinse. The pencil fails before the paper does (the glue holding the wood casing together eventually dissolves and the pencil splits in half lengthwise).

The DuraRite paper feels like thin plastic sheets and keeps its strength even after long duration soaking. The more paper-like Rite-in-the-Rain paper still works after long soaking, but does lose some of its mechanical strength. Both are available at Rite in the Rain All-Weather Writing Paper

OTOH, after leaving a DuraRite notebooks all summer on a small, wet-sailing 14' sailing dinghy I find that the metal spiral binding has rusted pretty badly. Still functional, but pretty messy.

Charlie Allen

thanks to everybody very usefull your help in ecuador i can only get an slate and the underwater paper its to expensive thanks to al and keep diving

when I worked for the park service doing underwater surveys, we used to mount white mylar sheets on our slates and use them to record observations. It might work for you and should be available just about anywhere.

Three options (besides slates) come to mind: 1. Ritchie Wet Notes (www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=10910F). I use them, and have had good experience, and haven't noticed the paper quality issue Randy mentions; 2. Dive Rite markets the Dive wRrites Underwater Notebook (www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/slates.shtml). Very functional; 3. Halcyon's Diver's Notebook (www.halcyon.net/acc/accessories02.shtml#notebook). Rather expensive, compared to the other two. But, I REALLY like the binder. And you can replace the notebook insert (although Halcyon is rather proud iof it, judging by the price).

The "paper" is OK, it's the binder I have issue with.

If you can find a Xerox supplier, all you need to ask for is "Tear Free Paper". You can print on it with an inkjet or laser and take it under water, or use it as writing paper underwater. Print your own UW dive tables, or instructions to students.

It makes for serious paper cuts though. Seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom