Underwater temperature in Sardinia on July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agro

Contributor
Reaction score
We will be in Sardinia on July. I read that water temp is about 25 degree, so far so good. But what temp do we have at depth? I was told temp changes at about 15m to about 15 degree celsius. But I don't know if it's true. Thanks for your help.

I have an idea. A quick Google search provided a maximum of 26C in the summer,…but I’m curious to see some recent responses too.

We will be in Sardinia on July. I read that water temp is about 25 degree, so far so good. But what temp do we have at depth? I was told temp changes at about 15m to about 15 degree celsius. But I don't know if it's true. Thanks for your help.
It is true. But the depth of the thermocline can be even smaller, depending on wind direction.
When Maestrale blows (from North-East) the cold water can start at just 5-8 meters.
A full suit is recommended, at least 5mm thick.
Said that, diving shallow with my children, both I and my wife were happy without any suit. Just stay above the thermocline...

But Sardinia is big.
I did dive mostly in the North part, both on the East coast (Capo Coda Cavallo, Tavolara Island, etc.) and on the West coast (Porto Conte, Capo Caccia).
The South is warmer...
Where are you going?

If it helps as a datapoint, I was diving in the Lavezzi Islands off the coast of Corsica this past weekend (middle of June), so slightly north of Sardinia. Water temperature ranged from 23 deg C at the surface to 15 deg C at 32 meters. The thermoclines are very noticeable, I didn't get an exact read of the depth at which they exist but I was glad to be wearing a 7mm wetsuit with hood over neutrally buoyant thermal skins. Some of the other divers wore a 3mm beneath their 7mm wetsuit, and the dive club said some people go even further with adding another 3mm on top, for a total of 13mm thickness.

Thank you, we will be in Sardina's north. 15 deg at depth is the important temp for us, we will be deep diving. We are even thinking of using dry suits but deco at 25 deg in a drysuit is very warm, maybe to warm.

Thank you, we will be in Sardina's north. 15 deg at depth is the important temp for us, we will be deep diving. We are even thinking of using dry suits but deco at 25 deg in a drysuit is very warm, maybe to warm.
I always avoided the complexity and additional risks of a dry suit.
A good wet suit is plenty enough for summer diving in the mediterranean.

I always avoided the complexity and additional risks of a dry suit.
A good wet suit is plenty enough for summer diving in the mediterranean.
We are used to dive dry suits in 4 deg water, there is no additional risk and no complexity at all. Exept hyperthermia, that's what I am afraid of.

We will be diving trimix which takes away some heat from diver's body. But still I hope a wet suit is warm enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom