underwater suicide From undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In Croatia a scuba diver was found dead at the bottom of a cave at 180ft, with a knife protruding from his chest. After his body was retrieved, a autopsy found that death was due to both drowning and the penetrating knife wound. Officials believed it was homicide and arrested two suspects. However the blood stains on their clothing were paint and they passed a polygraph test. A forensic analysis of the profile of the divers last dive stored in his computer and other findings led officials to conclude that the diver committed suicide most likely because he ran out of air and wanted to avoid the agony of drowning.

Interesting... I would assum,e death by drowning would be preferable to a self-inflicted stab wound in terms of agony. Of course I don't want to test that theory.

We had a local diver on Catalina who is believed to have commited suicide two years ago.

Dr. Bill

sounds like a suicide or murder to me, I'm not sure how the authorities could differentiate in this case ~Z

cdiver2 once bubbled...
In Croatia a scuba diver was found drad at the bottom of a cave at 180ft, with a knife protruding from his chest. After his body was retrieved, a autopsy found that death was due to both drowning and the penetrating knife wound. Officials believed it was homicide and arrested two suspects. However the blood stains on there clothing were paint and they passed a polygraph test. A forensic analysis of the profile of the divers last dive stored in his computer and other findings led officials to conclude that the diver committed suicide most likely because he ran out of air and wanted to avoid the agony of drowning.

Unfortunately, during the action of retrieving the body of Czech diver, one Croatian policeman was killed (not enough training, not enough equipment, lost in cave, separated form his buddy, OOA) and the other suffered very serious DCS.

About dive itself: it was a night (evening) dive to a deep cave ( they were at the cave entrance that morning with DM) of a group untrained Czech divers, they were lost in the cave and one of them didn't surfaced. The real truth is unknown yet. The official version is posted above.

MonkSeal

cdiver2 once bubbled...
You sound skeptical, " real story not know yet...official version"
Is there more to this than has been reporetd ?.

I can't tell - the newspapers wrote about "love story" causing homicide then about some evidences that driver was killed on surface and dragged into cave but nothing was proved.

You know when something like this happen everyone has his own theory but definitely it was a very, very sad story. Whatever version is true, the fact is that two divers were killed and the fact is that young policeman (in age 25, merried, two kids) was killed because he wasn't equipped and trained enough. No one of his superiors did suffer any consequences or took responsibility.

cdiver2 once bubbled...
Do you know what level of training the police officer had, who told him to do the dive and could he have refused without consequence to his career ?

Police released no official information on that issue but unofficially I heard that he wasn't trained for cave diving. No report about the search for the Czech diver was published. I don't know who told him to enter the cave and if he could refuse and such information police will never make public (at least here).

Is there a link to this story somewhere?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom