underwater Scooter in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moray48

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used a underwater scooter in Bonaire ? We have the VS Sea-Doo They are a great toy I remember the long kicks out to the dropoffs when I was in Bonaire 10 years ago I think the scooters will be great for that. My unit has over 200 dives on it and is still running well.

Jim

Moray,
A scooter may be useful but I am wondering about all the new weight restrictions. It may be that you would have to leave everything else at home. I have no idea what airline you are using but all of them seem to balk at the luggage needed for a dive destination. You would think by now they would have figured it out and stop leaving it all behind.
Bottom line, I would check with your carrier before bringing your scooter.

Sue,
My scooter weights 18# with the battery I put it is a case with my wetsuits ,fins, boots, and 1/2 my clothes. the other case has all the rest of my dive gear and the other1/2 of my clothes both cases weigh about 47 # each. plus you can take a carry on that weighs less than 40 #. so if you pack to the limit you can take 140# of gear.
I have done it many times.last trip was to La Paz.

Jim

Jim -

Sounds like you have the weight worked out for the US carrier flight from the states. Are you flying direct to Bonaire or via Aruba / Curacao on a puddle jumper? That's where you would run into more stringent and costly weight restrictions...

Drew,
We fly Continental straight through from Newark, you are correct if you have connections with smaller national airlines bring plenty of cash for overweight luggage cost, or pack much lighter,

Jim

Taking the same direct flight on 4/28... SO much better than last year when we went DC -> Miami -> Curacao -> Bonaire. That took forever! On the way back we missed the Miami flight and had to spend the night there (not so bad normally, but it was a Monday night, I was dead tired and I hadn't seen my girlfriend in nearly a week :wink:). Worst part was the reason we missed the flight. We sat on the runway in Curacao for so long that the plane's fuel dropped below the minimum allowed for the flight and we had to go back to the gate to refuel! Ended up missing the Miami flight by 5 minutes...

moray48:
Has anyone used a underwater scooter in Bonaire ? We have the VS Sea-Doo They are a great toy I remember the long kicks out to the dropoffs when I was in Bonaire 10 years ago I think the scooters will be great for that. My unit has over 200 dives on it and is still running well.

Jim

Jim, a couple years ago I used one on a few dives, and it was FUN! You can do three wrecks in one dive if you want. Enter at Front Porch, go down to 90feet to the New Yorker, head south and go up to around 60feet, hit Willy, then keep heading South until you hit Our Confidence, then you have enough time and air to go back to your entry at Front Porch. I felt like a female James Bond...didn't see a lot of small stuff obviously, but it sure was a kick!

DELETED...I am not qualified to post here...sorry

Cynde

Is the "front Porch " dive site in front of where the old sunset resort used to be ? we are staying at the sand dollar which is close to there. mabey we can do Bari reef and the front pourch on the same tank with our scooters.

Jim

Scooter dive at Bachealors Beach.

Attachments

• board-profile.jpg
    board-profile.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 137

Back
Top Bottom