Underwater Photography Ethics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also in the 1000+ with camera category. A hobby that has gotten a little out of hand. Still, I can't waste valuable time underwater moving things around, I'd rather find something in a better position even if it's a sargeant major. Until the sargeant major makes the cover of NG, I'm working on making that worldclass OOOOoooo AAaaahhhhh picture of them; one slide at a time. :D

Divesherpa:
Out of curiosity, when everyone posts their take on UW feeding and "posing", would you please post the number of dives that you have with a camera.

Cheers and safe diving,
Jamie

Funny, as I was reading through the posts so far, I had the same question, but maybe for a different reason. I'm pretty new at u/w photo (60 or so dives of the last several hundred), and I'm still working setting by setting to get used to my new Oly 5060. So for me, getting a great shot even after moving a critter would be far from certain. I wouldn't consider moving, nudging, herding or otherwise hasseling an animal given that the shot may be less than perfect even if the pose were perfect. I figure I may as well learn to be a good photographer first, and then recognize that maybe 75% of all things I see that I'd like a picture of are simply unshootable for one reason or another.

When I start my diving lesson (PADI) since the beginning they told me that you do not touch any UW life. This is what I still try to do. However I do have to admit that during the last trip in Thailand I could not resist to touch the Manta Ray which just passed at 5 cm from me. I also touch once an Octopuss.

Beside those two infractions I am not touching not feeding anything under water.

If a really nice animal is in a bad position to shoot at I just cry a little bit leave it there.

I have about 30 dive with my UW photo gear. If I have to dive without it I feel like I missing something I feel naked…

I figure I may as well learn to be a good photographer first, and then recognize that maybe 75% of all things I see that I'd like a picture of are simply unshootable for one reason or another.

Words to live by, though I'd say it's closer to 90% There are an awful lot of rocks I can't be bothered with..:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom