Underwater Photography Ethics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never moved anything. I think it's crap and I think you can really mess up nature. Please dont do this.

Divesherpa:
Snowbear, I'm heading back to the great white North in August for a few weeks. Any good suggestions? We will hopefully shoot some DV at the Rookery on Grindoll Island (POW). We may even feed a few Wolf Eels:wink:
IIRC.... you're the expert in SE :wink:

Come on up to Resurrection Bay and I'll be glad to show you some sites.

KidK9:
I've never moved anything. I think it's crap and I think you can really mess up nature. Please dont do this.

Parrot fish continually grind down corals, turtles lay on top of soft corals and munch on sponges, stingrays lay on the bottom and rototill BIG time looking for stuff to eat in the sand, hump head parrot fish bash into coral heads and munch on the remains, Crown of thorns.....lets not even go there. So, I can't touch ANYTHING under water? Well, then I'm going to go kick those darn turtles back in the water everytime they come out at night and leave foot prints all over my beach. :D

alcina:
I say NO emphatically. It is not acceptable UW Photo pratice to pick animals up and pose them. Do your best with what nature provides. I don't feel that holding aside a leaf of seaweed falls into the same category as dislodging and relocating.

We do not know what impact we are having by moving something so the best bet is to leave it alone. Besides, it adds to the challenge of getting that great shot :wink:

The marine life we encounter is not there for us to do with as we like. We are visitors and should behave in a respectful manner at all times.[/QUOT]

I agree 100%

Hank49:
Well, then I'm going to go kick those darn turtles back in the water everytime they come out at night and leave foot prints all over my beach. :D

Hank,
Thanks for the humor. Your turtle statement is the most comical thing that I've read in a long time.

Bear,

I'm no expert, but I'd love to make it up to Res. You really have to watch the tides up there, don't ya?

I have video of a hawkbill turtle chowing down on a coral head. It did more damage to the coral in one sitting then I have in over 200 dives, heck, I'll be realistic, I will probably never do as much damage to the coral as this one sea turtle, let alone the parrotfish.

BUT!

The turtle is doing what's in its nature. I may not like that its destroying the coral, but that's just what it does. Coral reefs are not my natural habitat, and eating coral is not my cup of tea - but that's what sea turtles do. I have a major problem with people who decide that, just because the sea life destorys other sea life, I should do it too. The reality is that things are going to change. I like what I see now. I don't want to change it any faster than it has to. Leave things alone - you'll still have some accidents, but you can work to keep those to a minimum, so that the environment changes the way it would naturally. I've seen other people moving things, kicking things, holding on to things - it offends me. You don't have to pose the sealife to get a good picture, you need to become better at taking pictures. Quit taking shortcuts, and do what you should do - become a better diver!

Out of curiosity, when everyone posts their take on UW feeding and "posing", would you please post the number of dives that you have with a camera.

Cheers and safe diving,
Jamie

Divesherpa:
Out of curiosity, when everyone posts their take on UW feeding and "posing", would you please post the number of dives that you have with a camera.

Cheers and safe diving,
Jamie

A bit over 300 dives so far, no camera the first 70 dives or so then camera pretty much every dive since then.

Put me in the 1000+ dive category.

I have just moved back to stills last year - for about the five years before that I shot almost exclusively video and before that snap shooting only from 96-99. Can't remember my last dive without some sort of camera system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom