Underwater Photo Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a new camera set-up as I get more interested in taking photo's while diving. I never really cared about photography until I started diving.

Wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a good facility or instructor for underwater photography. PADI cert or not doesn't matter. I live in San Jose.

Thanks,

jeff

If you want to work with your new camera sf rec dept has a great scuba program at rossi pool on monday nights from 630 to 10 the use fee is small the pool is in door well lighted and worm there is a scuba staff with much expertise Gary does a lot of nice uw photo

Thanks Chuck. I'm not so serious to be involved in a photo club. I have too many hobbies. Just want to learn some basics and take a class or pay for private instruction. I can of course contact a LDS but thought of asking here for a recommendation. I prefer that over just calling a shop.

Just make sure that whoever you pay for the class is actually a good photographer and has some experience with the type of camera you will be using. There are numerous DM's and Instructors that offer a photo class because their training agency lets them give the card but they are not very good photographers. Ask to see some of there work first and they should have alot of photos, and ask to see some of the unedited ones to see if they can actually take good photos or are just really good at photoshop. Some of the best photo instructors are not dive instructors.

Thanks Chuck. I'm not so serious to be involved in a photo club. I have too many hobbies. Just want to learn some basics and take a class or pay for private instruction. I can of course contact a LDS but thought of asking here for a recommendation. I prefer that over just calling a shop.

I've been learning as I go. I actually learned a lot when I started off from a TV show that followed two Nat Geo underwater photographers. One of my favorite resources is Underwater Photography Guide. It has some great articles like camera settings and strobe use that I've put to practical use. I personally use an Olympus E-PL3 which has excellent underwater modes that I've found myself using more often than shooting manual. I've also had good luck just kind of shooting by instinct, or something like that...

A few years back (5-6); my wife gave me a private photography lesson from Backscatter in Monterey. In the morning we went over some prior shots that I had taken and what was good/bad with them and how to improve. We then went for a dive where the instructor showed me some techniques then went back to the classroom to critique them. It was very worthwhile. I don’t think the instructor I used is still doing private lessons but maybe Backscatter has others that will.

Ben

Backscatter in Monterey and Blue Water Photo in Santa Monica (the link mentioned by Jak earlier) are two good sources. You could join one of Blue Water's trips such as the one heading to the Philippines next month and get in some great diving while you learn.

Thanks Ben. I was thinking of buying a strobe set-up from them so I will inquire...minus the dive...not a fan of cold water but there is a topic on that already I think....

Backscatter isn't offering any instructions other than their trips.

I might do Diver Dans class in the future but was looking for something this week before leave for Philippines

Back
Top Bottom