Underwater in High Definition (Comments?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, It seems that High Definition Cameras really seem to have an issue with low light.
Using a JVC GY-HD100 you have to crank down 3 F stops to be of any use in low light.

I am trying to make a decision on "if" to go to HD underwater. But I wanted to know opinions of those using HD. Inparticular the differences in using lighting compared to the 3 older (Non HD) CCD cameras.

JVC has in the past been great with low light and IMHO better than Sony.

There is a huge disappointment with the JVC HD inparticular with low light. Using the camera even for weddings or industrial video requires the scene to be nuked.

So... what is the story by those using HD cameras underwater? Both professional and prosumer types.

Thanks.

I'll be better able to tell you next week when my Sony HC7 arrives. I'm not as worried about filming in low light situations (I do film down to 200 feet) because almost all my subjects in low light are closeups of marine life illuminated by video lights.

Sony HC7 HD camcorder $1,200; HID video lights $1,000; new 37" HD LCD TV to view footage on $750; upgrade housing to access HD camera features $150; upgrade video editing software to edit HDV $150. The results had better be priceless!!!

Any of you guys ever walk on a TV set or a film set? You think your HDV camera needs a lot of light? Try staring down the throat of 3 10kw HMIs, or a dozen Kino's. Then lets talk about a lot of light.

Film likes light. Video likes a LOT of light. If you want good results, give the camera something to work with.

Yep, I've been on movie and TV sets, Perrone Ford. Yep, they need LOTS of light. Why? They're trying to light a space with lots of depth. We don't usually do that underwater unless you're trying to film caves, wreck interiors, etc. (which you may be doing). A simple set of 10w HID lights will illuminate the critters we see if we are able to film them close enough. If you want to flood an area with light, or illuminate something at distance, join a Cousteau film crew... or win the lottery!!

PerroneFord:
Any of you guys ever walk on a TV set or a film set? You think your HDV camera needs a lot of light? Try staring down the throat of 3 10kw HMIs, or a dozen Kino's. Then lets talk about a lot of light.

Film likes light. Video likes a LOT of light. If you want good results, give the camera something to work with.

I'm with you 100%. All your doing wether filming on film, tape or HDD is capturing light. Personally I think that the Sony HVR-Z1U performs the worst of all the prosumers in low light situations. The JVC is a great camera but if you're not impressed with it in low light you should see it with the 35mm lens adapter on it. You lose between 3-4 stops. Now that's a challenge when it comes to lighting a set. People start melting from the heat. When we use that camera we like to use lots of Kino's, it keeps everyone's heads cool :) Actually we use Kino's whenever we can, I support that company 100%, they have some amazing products.

Billy

Sorry to hijaak this for a sec...

Billy, I am buying some Flous for interviews. Looking at the big Mole Richardsons, and the Kinos. Since we'll likely be working with a shop out of Orlando and installing Moles for some other stuff, I'm leaning that way. Any thoughts? It's either that or a Kino Diva setup.

drbill:
Yep, I've been on movie and TV sets, Perrone Ford. Yep, they need LOTS of light. Why? They're trying to light a space with lots of depth. We don't usually do that underwater unless you're trying to film caves, wreck interiors, etc. (which you may be doing). A simple set of 10w HID lights will illuminate the critters we see if we are able to film them close enough. If you want to flood an area with light, or illuminate something at distance, join a Cousteau film crew... or win the lottery!!

DrBill,

My point is this, all video cameras need light. And camera to subject distance, especially in water versus air, is a MAJOR factor in light loss. So if you want the quality, as you well know, you HAVE to feed it light.

If you're filming small critters on a reef, then you're right, a pair of HIDs should more than suffice. If you're trying to light an expanse of a reef, or the wheelhouse of a wreck, you're gonna need to bring some real lights.

I have one of the best low-light performers there is in DV, but I'm still looking at putting nearly 3kw into an interview set. Because life is good on film/video when you have more light than you need. Being able to stop down is a beautiful thing! :)

The Divas are really cool. I mostly get the 6' 4-banks. They came out with the parabeam last year that kicks some serious @ss. If you need help call over to Kino PM me and I'll give you a number and who to speak with. He should be back from NAB Monday and will steer you in the right direction. They know that their lights aren't practical in every situation and will advise you to go with another type of light if it is necessary.

I'm a big fan of mole also. My dad actually went to grade school and high school with the Parker family who have owned Mole Richardson since the beginning. Of course I found this out after I started renting from them, could have used that info earlier. One of the huge benefits of using Kino's is the ratio of light output to power consumption, no one can beat it, plus they're light weight, ultra easy to setup and you can touch them while in operation. A big plus in my opinion when pressed for time, and when aren't we?

Billy

PerroneFord:
DrBill,

My point is this, all video cameras need light. And camera to subject distance, especially in water versus air, is a MAJOR factor in light loss. So if you want the quality, as you well know, you HAVE to feed it light.

If you're filming small critters on a reef, then you're right, a pair of HIDs should more than suffice. If you're trying to light an expanse of a reef, or the wheelhouse of a wreck, you're gonna need to bring some real lights.

I have one of the best low-light performers there is in DV, but I'm still looking at putting nearly 3kw into an interview set. Because life is good on film/video when you have more light than you need. Being able to stop down is a beautiful thing! :)

Hey, I agree Perrone Ford. I'm lucky that 80-90% of what I shoot, I do from distances of 4" to 4 feet. I like to make the little critters look big... you know, like those 1950's sci fi flicks that had monster ants created by escaping radiation.

Imagine filming in the low vis conditions that dominate much of SoCal diving... kid of like being in a cave with the silt flying at times.

drbill:
Imagine filming in the low vis conditions that dominate much of SoCal diving... kid of like being in a cave with the silt flying at times.

You mean like filming students? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom