Underwater GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to consider the marine units (even fish finder) which have both GPS (installed on the boat or wireless) and sonar. Bunch of products on the market, serarch the internet you'll find something.

Stingrob

hydroslyder:
Does anybody know why they dont make an underwater GPS, I figured this would be something really kool, you would never have to worry about not finding a wreck, or the dive boat again.

Anyway just a thought.

Thanks

My research shows a GPS navigational system is available for divers. The recreational package price starts at $450. The system works off of an umbilical connection with the diver. Otherwise the GPS would not work. The umbilical standard length is 50 feet. See website http://www.longbeachdive.com/price-list.htm

Good luck.

DiveBear49

hydroslyder:
Does anybody know why they dont make an underwater GPS, I figured this would be something really kool, you would never have to worry about not finding a wreck, or the dive boat again.

Anyway just a thought.

Thanks

With the price of solidstate laser ring gyros dropping the way they have been, it shouldn’t be too long before we get something that works well underwater, doesn’t require a link to the surface, isn’t depth limited by antenna feed, and will provide full 3 axis accuracy underwater. Furthermore a gyro based INS would provide instantaneous feedback of very small changes in position including depth, surge, and other factors that couldn’t be tracked by a GPS with the antenna on the surface.

I have placed a Magellon GPS in a water proof bag. It does not recieve signals in the water. That is what I have found. I did not expect it to but was just curious.
Submarines, spacecraft etc use an Inertial Guidence system. This sytem does not rely upon exterior signals to navigate. Once coordinates are fed in for it's location it uses gyros and accelorometers etc to track it's position from the starting point. Something like that anyways.

Stone:
If you want to find the boat, then you are talking about a "Neverlost" or "Eye Sea" beacon device.

Do you know a source for these? I would be interested in one of these.

Folks,

The "Eye Sea" company collapsed financially, probably due to an insufficient capital base, and is no longer producing the equipment, which is too bad, because it was a great idea.

All that is required is an external antenna with an extended cable which can be connected to a waterproof housing and amplified to a sufficient level to transmit the signal to the depth required to a compatible hand-held GPS unit.

The antenna would stay at the surface with the diver-down buoy and transmit the signal to the diver's GPS unit housed in the housing. There would be, of course, a miniscule difference between the GPS antenna location and the actual location of the diver.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom