Underwater Games to Share?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASUPaula

Reaction score
I love diving in the local quarry, even after venturing out into the warm waters off the Florida Keys, but I'm wondering if there are games or activities that might spice up repetitive dives in the same location. Please share!

*Midwater navigation practice with no visual reference.
*Lifting 50 lb. weights with lift bag.
*Practicing buoyancy control while swimming facing up.
*Throw some small colored plastic weights (swimming pool toys) into the quarry in random directions and then swim search patterns to find them.
*Underwater catch with bowling balls.

Have fun,
theskull

Those were all good but I think the thing I'm going to try as soon as I get my certification is...

Blowing underwater bubble rings!

I saw an article recently on the subject and can't wait to try it! You basically lay on your back, horizontally, at depth and make a "BOO" sound. You have to do some thing funky with your tongue, :11ztongue but I haven't gotten it worked out in the pool at 5 feet yet.

This is a pretty good topic, I wish we could see some more suggestions.

:please note I have never tried any of these things:

- has anyone ever tried underwater fishing?
- If you are willing, laminate a deck of cards and play a game of cards at the bottom with your buddy!

I'll try and think of more later./

Suggestion for activities while diving in a quarry? I've got a few. They are, in order of priority: Pratice skills, pratice skills, pratice skills -- ohh, and if there's time left, pratice skills :) Bouyancy, trim, all sorts of OW-class skills except this time around midwater rather than on the bottom......then midwater with eyes closed (and a buddy's watchfull eyes on you) etc. until everything is second nature. Then move on to the beyond-OW skills (valve shutdowns, air-sharing exercises and so on). Ohh, and if there's time and gas left, a good hide-and-seek is always a hit in a close-to-zero-vis mudhole.

My point is: diving in a quarry isn't for the scenery. It's for training such that everything is second-nature for the dives where there's actually something to see and do....

Speaking of underwater games, though.......anyone got any ideas for mid-water games to pass time while doing deco? Tic-tac-toe is booring after, ohh, 30 sec, and we tried magnetic chess but a current ate a pile of our chess-pieces....

voop:
anyone got any ideas for mid-water games to pass time while doing deco? Tic-tac-toe is booring after, ohh, 30 sec, and we tried magnetic chess but a current ate a pile of our chess-pieces....

How about rock-paper-scissors?

theskull

on land when bored, my friends and I play a more "interesting" version of tic-tac-toe. . . we call it hyper-toe. Sort of like playing 4th dimensional tic-tac-toe . . . sortta . . . 9 boards, all overlap, each is individual and a win can be made in any combination of overlapping boards . . . guess it's hard to describe in words . . . for that matter it's hard to describe in person - but the games last a lot longer. . . lol

ASUPaula:
I love diving in the local quarry, even after venturing out into the warm waters off the Florida Keys, but I'm wondering if there are games or activities that might spice up repetitive dives in the same location. Please share!

Underwater Poker Run - navigation game where poker chips or marked tags are weighted and placed underwater, contestants are given coordinates and must not surface during the entire run. They get one chip from each location. Once each buddy group returns to shore, using a poker shoe or just dealing the cards, the contestants get one card for each chip they recovered. One hand of poker is played and the winner receives a prize.

Underwater checker tournament - bouyancy exercise where a metal table has a checker board painted on it and painted washers are used ( or weighted checkers). Teams and play order are decided before descending. Each team has 5 minutes to play, fins may not touch the bottom (bouyancy control) if they do, automatic disqualification and loss to opponent. Player with most captured checkers is winner if no winner by end of 5 minutes. After each team plays, everyone surfaces and winners are paired for round 2 and so on. Best played on a rocky bottom or a platform.

These are fun games and also require the diver to utilize his/her skills of navigation and bouyancy.

Danny
www.divingrebels.org

Wow...precisely what I was looking for!! I realized as early as first grade (I did have an amazing teacher!) that learning fundamentals can be achieved through interesting activities, and not just direct focus on skill development. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. And thanks in advance for the plethora of good ideas I am sure are to follow. ~Paula

Back
Top Bottom