Underwater Friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_Boy

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have you ever made underwater friends that you hung out with regularly?
Like flipper the dolphin? Or Willy the killer whale? Or zippy the beaver?
(ok I just made up the last one)

I found a juvenile abalone in the mid 90s. I feed it kelp each time I see it. He/she is now more than 8" across. I named it Abby because I don't know if it's an Abner or Abigail.

I found a juvenile abalone in the mid 90s. I feed it kelp each time I see it. He/she is now more than 8" across. I named it Abby because I don't know if it's an Abner or Abigail.

Feeding kelp to a thing that looks like a sea shell…. I thought you were joking at first but I youtubed it and it looks really cool :p This is why I like scubaboard so much. I learn so many new things here :)

I hope Abby's well hidden. :wink:
You're not planning on eating that one are you? O.O

A conger eel on U-85.

I feed the turtles every day on a snorkel tour. Yesterday I was on the tour but not leading and feeding. The turtles came up in my face and bumped into me with there heads for 20 minutes looking for food while leaving the other guy alone. I was not wearing my usual outfit either but they apparently recognize me and wondered where the food was. Turtles have much better memories than I would have thought.

I once had a fish that would follow me on a night dive because I would shine lights on things and expose little smaller fish for him to gobble up :p

Outside Lawton Oklahoma there is a large Albino Bass that hangs out by the dam and around 85'-90', all the local divers know him and exactly where he is at. We all take food down to him all the time.

I have been able to take several classes down to where he is at usually and we see him most of the time, a very cool thing to do for students of a deep class.

Well there is one way to find out

The sex of a live abalone can be determined by holding the abalone out of the water with the holes along the bottom. The abalone will usually get tired and fall to the side so that the reproductive organ (on its right side) can be seen tucked between the mantle and the shell. If you look through the mantle tissue you can tell if it is a female (green reproductive organ) or male (beige reproductive organ).

Obtained from this website Abalone: Reproduction and Growth

I have not always been as discriminating in my friendships as perhaps I should have been. There have been lawyers, pole dancers, and Democrats among them. I try not to judge others harshly. I am proud to say, however, that I have always restricted myself to vertebrates--indeed, mammals, with a large number of Homo sapiens among them. So, in this crowd, quite discriminating, it seems.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom