Underwater Forest in the Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a neat video. If it gets protected maybe we can dive it some day.

I like how when the shark shows up we quickly change the music and illustrate how aggressive the sharks are...because yeah...

also like how they are like no no, we wont tell anywhere where it is, but first thing we did was bring A LOT of people out here...then they are like LOOK AT ALL THESE MAPS, IT'S RIGHT HERE!!!
<.<
>.>
you guys aren't very good at secrets...

also like how they are like no no, we wont tell anywhere where it is, but first thing we did was bring A LOT of people out here...then they are like LOOK AT ALL THESE MAPS, IT'S RIGHT HERE!!!
<.<
>.>
you guys aren't very good at secrets...
Eh the maps weren't very granular. Assuming that they were trusted scientists, making a non-disclosure agreement and at least requiring them to say that they will not use any GPS. Most academia know that if they screw up a non-disclosure like that they'd kiss a decent college level career goodbye. You have to have experts involved if you're going to take a good shot at getting it protected. A random guy claiming that it is an important ancient forest isn't going to cut it.

Mmm Bull sharks hiding in the forest. Now that is not a dive hazard I have heard before.

Eh the maps weren't very granular. Assuming that they were trusted scientists, making a non-disclosure agreement and at least requiring them to say that they will not use any GPS. Most academia know that if they screw up a non-disclosure like that they'd kiss a decent college level career goodbye. You have to have experts involved if you're going to take a good shot at getting it protected. A random guy claiming that it is an important ancient forest isn't going to cut it.
true, I acknowledge that...but I also know that the more people that know about something...the less chance of it remaining a secret there is....as for the granularity...it's about 9 miles off the coast, in the path of hurricane whatever it was...and you can see condos from the site was what I gathered....there's only so much water to search if you really wanted to find it...it's also in a hole, with a ton of fish...so if you have sonar, I would imagine you would stand a decent chance of finding it...especially if you know the rough area to search...

The first line is "fifteen miles from any land"
It is a risk, but one that they'll need to take. That kind of "reef" in relatively shallow water could be a new and neat place for those of us that drive past a lot of ocean near I-10 to get to Florida.

I had heard about this forest but not seen the video. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom