Underwater drills with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem with contacts. I have students that wear them for skills and keep their eyes closed. PADI's mask skill requirements in the pool are partial mask flood (up to your eye level) and clear, full flood and clear, mask removal and replacement, and swimming 15m/50' underwater with a buddy and no mask (and then replacing it). When you get into open water, you only need to do the first 3 skills.

There's no skill requirement for finding a mask at the bottom of a pool - never encountered that in my instructor or technical training so it sounds old-school. :)

Either way you do it, eyes open or closed, the instructor will be close by to hang on to you (it can be hard to judge your buoyancy without a visual reference) for control. When you do the no-mask swim, it will be done with your buddy holding on to you for assistance and guidance.

No problem with contacts. I have students that wear them for skills and keep their eyes closed. PADI's mask skill requirements in the pool are partial mask flood (up to your eye level) and clear, full flood and clear, mask removal and replacement, and swimming 15m/50' underwater with a buddy and no mask (and then replacing it). When you get into open water, you only need to do the first 3 skills.

There's no skill requirement for finding a mask at the bottom of a pool - never encountered that in my instructor or technical training so it sounds old-school. :)

Either way you do it, eyes open or closed, the instructor will be close by to hang on to you (it can be hard to judge your buoyancy without a visual reference) for control. When you do the no-mask swim, it will be done with your buddy holding on to you for assistance and guidance.
oh, that's awesome. thanks! :)

I usually just wear my contacts when I dive, so far I’ve had no problem diving with them on, I’ve even opened my eyes underwater to “test” this without a mask on and neither of my lenses have fallen off (though I don’t recommend opening them for too long).
Just make sure to bring your glasses on the dive boat.

I have even tested diving without my lenses, surprisingly, my eyesight was perfect under water like as if I had my lenses on. However I still had multiple dive buddies nearby in case. My power for both eyes are around 400.

Also, I recommend using daily lenses specifically for diving so it’s no biggie if they fall off, if not just make sure to clean them properly as you do not want salt build-up in your lenses

ok i wear contacts... but not when diving. my Dr kind of didn't like the idea of I took my mask off, or it got flooded whatever micro? is in the water would be or could be trapped under the contact. which kind of made since to me. we take out our contacts and let them soak overnight in sterile solution. I just bring some glasses on the boat incase i need to read something real small

I usually just wear my contacts when I dive, so far I’ve had no problem diving with them on, I’ve even opened my eyes underwater to “test” this without a mask on and neither of my lenses have fallen off (though I don’t recommend opening them for too long).
Just make sure to bring your glasses on the dive boat.

I have even tested diving without my lenses, surprisingly, my eyesight was perfect under water like as if I had my lenses on. However I still had multiple dive buddies nearby in case. My power for both eyes are around 400.

Also, I recommend using daily lenses specifically for diving so it’s no biggie if they fall off, if not just make sure to clean them properly as you do not want salt build-up in your lenses
That's a good idea that I never considered. I never had an issue with my contacts while diving, but if I ever did (and lost both) I'd be blind as a bat.

I wear contacts and If I do mask clearing drills, or lose my mask for real, I just open my eyes. Haven’t lost a contact. I wear daily disposables so I just toss them after the dive if they get submerged in seawater.

I wear contacts. On the day I did mask removal skills I did not wear them. All other dives I have them in.After a few dives I could do them with them in. Everything gets easier as you grow more comfortable

I dive with one contact in, one contact out. That works well for me, because I'm near-sighted in both eyes plus have presbyopia. So on land, I wear contacts for distance, and for reading, put reading glasses over them. For diving, I wear my contact in one eye, and leave the other eye bare. So for mask clearing, I keep the eye with the contact closed, and open the bare eye. For reading gauges, I use the bare eye, which works because it is near-sighted.

That's a good idea that I never considered. I never had an issue with my contacts while diving, but if I ever did (and lost both) I'd be blind as a bat.
oh me too! wouldn't be able to see crap without them lol

ok so I'm doing mask drills now and it's fine, I just close my eyes for full flooding and removal/replacement. I probably greatly overthought the whole thing LOL. thanks everyone for your responses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom