Underwater drills with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

later on I may invest in a mask with glasses. but right now I don't have money for them. first I'm going to get the money for LASIK which is a surgery that basically gives me normal vision. (I've wanted this ever since my dad got it- not just for diving) so down the road it won't be an issue
Then just tell your instructor and keep the eyes closed :D
Not an issues at all.
Most instructor ask their students if any got contacts, because its normal these days

Then just tell your instructor and keep the eyes closed :D
Not an issues at all.
Most instructor ask their students if any got contacts, because its normal these days
Will do. I'll ask them. Thank you :)

I wear glasses and dive too. Our brain looks at ALL the light images that shine on our eye's retina and gets interpreted as blurry. Sometimes by focusing that light image to a smaller part of the retina we can see the image clearer and that's how glasses work to better focus. As diver's, we can trick our brain to focus on a smaller part of the retina image underwater by making a tiny hole with our curled up index finger. Tuck your index finger in a tight curl leaving only a small hole opening about the size of a pencil lead. Hold it tight with the your thumb on top. You can hold this up to your mask lens underwater or eye and you'll still be able to clearly read your gauge or computer underwater.

You can also test this right now if your eye won't clearly focus on something without glasses at or above your screen. Take off your glasses, tuck your index finger and read the words. Even though the amount of area you can read is tiny, you can still clearly see the letters as you move down the sentence or see across the room to read something. It's not a substitute for a prescription mask or plastic inserts that are available, but it's a nice trick for a backup plan when you need to see something clearly and quickly,,,,,Even in the pool or underwater.

View attachment 702351

That is crazy cool. Just tried it!

I use daily disposable contacts for diving and very rarely have I lost a contact due to keeping eyes open.
I'm guessing it's different depending on what type of contacts you use, as there's such variation between size, shape, thickness etc.

Mask with optical lenses is probably the best, unfortunately for me I am yet to find one that fits my face well.

I wear contacts and for drills without a mask I’ll just keep my eyes closed. I have opened my eyes briefly and haven’t lost a contact yet but that’s a rare occasion. I do keep a spare set of contacts in my bag in case I do lose one. Haven’t had to use them yet, but they’re there just in case.

No worries. I use 30 day contacts (24hrs) and have had zero problems in aprx 1000 dives.
I keep a few dailies on hand for pool-woork though, as chlorine can be a bit stressfull.
Dont worry.

I dive with contacts and have since 2005. I’ve trained up through divemaster & Trimix so lots of no-mask drills.

For no mask drills;
1. Keep your eyes closed and if you need to open them, open them just a bit.
2. Have spare contacts with you onshore in case you happen to lose one. I never have but I always have spare lenses just in case. I’m horribly nearsighted and would not be able to drive home without contacts!

I dive with contacts and have since 2005. I’ve trained up through divemaster & Trimix so lots of no-mask drills.

For no mask drills;
1. Keep your eyes closed and if you need to open them, open them just a bit.
2. Have spare contacts with you onshore in case you happen to lose one. I never have but I always have spare lenses just in case. I’m horribly nearsighted and would not be able to drive home without contacts!
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Also am considering wearing my glasses for underwater (no mask drills) then taking them off when I'm underwater. I'd put contacts back in afterward.

I use daily disposable contacts for diving and very rarely have I lost a contact due to keeping eyes open.
I'm guessing it's different depending on what type of contacts you use, as there's such variation between size, shape, thickness etc.

Mask with optical lenses is probably the best, unfortunately for me I am yet to find one that fits my face well.
I can't afford that LOL. I'm not sure how my contacts are in terms of coming out in the water but I'd like to not find out lmao. I'll be keeping spares on hand.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Also am considering wearing my glasses for underwater (no mask drills) then taking them off when I'm underwater. I'd put contacts back in afterward.

That is a very good option if your eyesight is good enough. I’m virtually blind without contacts/glasses. My contacts are -10 correction! Diving without them is not an option for me.

Back
Top Bottom