Underwater drilling tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

This isn't really a "general equipment discussion" but I'm not sure where it belongs.

Do you have any idea if some kind of underwater drilling machine, operated using compressed air from the tank, exists? The idea would be to make some holes in a concrete mole which is away from shore, to install some solar-powered lights. The drilling operation itself is not underwater, but there's no way to bring electrical power over there (and operating a standard 220V drilling machine could be dangerous near water anyway). Swimming in scuba gear, with a dedicated tank for drilling would be the easiest way. My searches on google only found some pneumatic oil-powered drills, but no air powered one. There's no need for an expensive/professional tool, a basic/cheap one would be enough if anybody manufactured it already.

P.S. Maybe I'm not searching for the right words? Is the english name for a machine that makes holes into things "drilling machine" or something else? :)

Pneumatic and Hydraulic Rotary Hammer Drills on CS Unitec, Inc.

Pretty expensive and use a ton of air. I doubt a scuba tank would provide much drilling time.
If you only have a few, not too precise, holes to drill then get a cheap mechanics sir drill and air hammer plus a star chisel. Both will use a lot of air but you should be able to get a hole 3/4: x 4-5" with a single tank.

you really need a hammer drill for concrete.
The make battery powered units, air units are also made, but are very $$$ as said.
If there are only a few holes, there small, and its weak concrete you could get away with a standard air drill that can be had for $40 from Harbor Freight.

This is the kind of thing that I intend to make holes into:

3493823369_1b5c093496.jpg

If it's not too complicated to ask, can you please give me advices regarding common brands that might be available in Europe (like Bosch for example)?

What would be a common air usage per minute for a basic tool, and the operating pressure range? One hole per tank is a little disappointing (but then, if it is the only way, then it still means it can be done in a few dives with 2-3 divers per dive) :D

P.S. Sorry if my questions are too naive, but my construction experience is basically non-existent, and I've got lost in construction tool sites, lacking knowledge and experience to identify what I need.

Um, yeah hammer drill with diamond tip masonry bit
You will need one hell of a compressor and drill.

Just get an electric model, use a GFI and be really careful. Buy more than one bit.
Those are really really high strength concrete.
Use that advise are your own risk, I really don't know what the conditions are like where your drilling.

Hello,

This isn't really a "general equipment discussion" but I'm not sure where it belongs.

Do you have any idea if some kind of underwater drilling machine, operated using compressed air from the tank, exists? The idea would be to make some holes in a concrete mole which is away from shore, to install some solar-powered lights. The drilling operation itself is not underwater, but there's no way to bring electrical power over there (and operating a standard 220V drilling machine could be dangerous near water anyway). Swimming in scuba gear, with a dedicated tank for drilling would be the easiest way. My searches on google only found some pneumatic oil-powered drills, but no air powered one. There's no need for an expensive/professional tool, a basic/cheap one would be enough if anybody manufactured it already.

P.S. Maybe I'm not searching for the right words? Is the english name for a machine that makes holes into things "drilling machine" or something else? :)

I'd rent an air pneumatic drill and portable pressure tank for the day from your local rental shop; problem solved.

If it's not too complicated to ask, can you please give me advices regarding common brands that might be available in Europe (like Bosch for example).

Get a battery powered hammer drill from:

AEG AEG Powertools

or

Bosch The Bosch Group - Startpage

As your location is in Bucharest, Romania, all of the sources givin are not really good for you. What I would do is to get a good battery opperated drill and as many battery packs as you can get or just take a 220V gen set and use a electric drill, just make sure that there is a ground fault protection on the line.

If you want to use an air system, most air powered drills can be made to work off of a good 1st stage. But you will need a number of tanks to get the job done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom