Underwater Camera with Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a really loaded question. Underwater photography is well challenging. I have heard it described as always shooting at dusk in a heavy rain.

It also puts a premium on wide angle work or macro. The closer you get the better.

It changes the way you dive. You have a bunch of gear which is complex and takes concentration to operate. It is very easy to get task loaded. Also, underwater photographers are notoriously poor dive partners. I mean there you are trying to get that great shot of this wonderful, tiny and elusive blenny ....... there is no way you can do that and keep track of your buddy.

Also, as mentioned above, photographers can get really tribal. A dedicated Canon user might regard receiving a Nikon as something tantamount to treason only far worse.

Quite a few land photographers have no stomach for underwater photography. It is not really something you want to spring on someone. If you have good reason to think that he wants an underwater system, then a gift card may be the ticket.

Since he already has a camera/housing, that means he has some knowledge of what's out there. Maybe he wants a better camera, or maybe a wet lens, or maybe a external strobe for his existing setup. So I guess the gift certificate would be the best idea.

Also, as mentioned above, photographers can get really tribal. A dedicated Canon user might regard receiving a Nikon as something tantamount to treason only far worse.

I had Canon SLRs my whole life, everything else was second rate. I never jumped on the DSLR thing (resolution inferior to film as long as it is less than 25mpixel, full frame its just a toy....and of course, who's going to spend $8K for a full frame just to toy with it when it will be obsolete in a couple of years (unlike film, better film meant POS camera gets to benefit)), having made do with rangefinder type & P&S, although I found the shutter lag maddening at first. But when the in law, in his justification to keep on getting new gear, gives me his old D70 and a decent 18-70mm lens, I didn't hesitate to switch alliance.

Quite a few land photographers have no stomach for underwater photography. It is not really something you want to spring on someone. If you have good reason to think that he wants an underwater system, then a gift card may be the ticket.
It is a different diving experience when you go with a camera. When some of those rare marine life encounters takes place, I very rarely see the fish/mammal with my own eyes, most of the time, it is through the viewfinder of the camera. I would furiously kick full speed to keep up speed with it, come up relatively close to its side, then just snap or video away. Once in a while, I would think, I am next to this giant thing and I don't even see it in real life, then I would look up for a few seconds to get the scope of its size at such a close distance, then turn back to the viewfinder and continue shooting/filming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom