Underwater Camera with Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello

i am not a diver but my husband is. I wanted to get him a good underwater camera. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you don't want to spend 1000+ for a camera setup (and 1000 is still on the cheap side when you figure camera, housing, optional strobes, lenses, etc.), I would recommend the Intova IC-12. About 200 bucks and comes with the 12mp camera and underwater housing that can go to 180 feet. I can't afford a nice setup, and this worked great for me to take the memories home. Here's some video/photos I took on a trip last summer with it (although I touched up mostly all the photos in photoshop to restore color):

[video=youtube;rqRgYYwgOa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqRgYYwgOa8&feature=feedwll&list=WL[/video]
Cozumel Scuba Diving - June 2011 - YouTube

You might want to check in the photography forum. How much of a photography buff is your husband?

You don't have to do this all at once. You can buy the camera and housing and then pick up a strobe at a later date. But Some info is required like budget? Also knowing what the photos are going to be used for... fun, camera buff, serious user, pro? Judging by the post it sounds like newbie with little interest in shooting seriously, but more info is needed.

Saying you want to get him an UW camera is kinda like saying you want to get him a car... kinda broad.

when i am into something, i usually don't want somebody else getting me stuff. I might have a specific preference or style in mind. Of course, that is unless what I got is much better than what I am planning for.

Is he an experienced u/w photographer?

If not, you may want to start with a 'simpler' camera and housing - leaving the strobe until after he gets used to diving with a camera. (Also, in case it turns out he doesn't enjoy it as much as he thinks he will.)

I have my original u/w camera set-up for sale now - served me great, until I decided what I wanted to go with for the 'next step'

From my own experience, I probably would have gotten something expensive that I no longer thought was optimal for myself, if I hadn't started with this basic set-up and went straight for the 'fancy'' stuff

when i am into something, i usually don't want somebody else getting me stuff. I might have a specific preference or style in mind. Of course, that is unless what I got is much better than what I am planning for.

I'm pretty much the same way - The idea of surprise is nice but for certain things, at least for me, I would much rather my wife ask me which camera I want vs. surprising me with one that I probably don't.

If he is actually into photography on land, he probably already has some idea as to what he'd like to bring underwater with him - at least a specific brand (you may risk divorce by giving a Canon to a Nikon guy ) ). And if he's not into land photography, he may have no interest in carrying a camera with him underwater.

Having said all that, I'd be very happy if my wife surprised me with a Canon S95 :D

Thanks for the replies everyone!

He has the Sony Cyber-shot® Digital Camera TX7 with underwater housing now.

I think everyone is right, I'll get him a gift card so he can pick out his own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom