Understanding Mares lineup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After receiving a copy of diagram and parts list for the Mares XR DR 2nd stage earlier today, I cross-referenced the parts list against the Abyss 2nd stage and related tech bulletins and other than the faceplate/purge button parts and the ring clamp, every other part of the DR 2nd stage is exactly the same as the Abyss, including the 2nd stage body. The service kit is the same as well.

Since the introduction of the Abyss 2nd stage, there has only been minor modifications to the internal parts, such as improved demand lever shape, but the only major changes have been to the aesthetics with a periodic faceplate change (and along the way, a more compact exhaust tee).

The DR continues this trend, by offering what is essentially the abyss with yet another iteration of the faceplate...to be honest it kind of harkens back to the Mares Orbiter version of the Abyss (introduced sometime between 1998 and 2000, overlapping with the Mares Ruby Abyss 2nd stage):

1660625667870.png

Looking back at discussion threads from a couple of years ago, @lowwall had zeroed in on this. See his comments at post #15. With the info shared with us today, we now confirm that the DR is indeed just a repackaged/rebadged Abyss.

Cheers,

-Z

The reg in the picture looks exactly like the AMF Voit MR12, which of course, it is. I sold a beautiful set of them a few years back complete with bump covers and bullseye logos. Great breathing regulators.

Looks like Mares is positioning to go head to head with Scubapro, more logos and a SCCR!

James

The reg in the picture looks exactly like the AMF Voit MR12, which of course, it is. I sold a beautiful set of them a few years back complete with bump covers and bullseye logos. Great breathing regulators.

Looks like Mares is positioning to go head to head with Scubapro, more logos and a SCCR!

James
That’s correct. They are so nice I haven’t gotten them wet yet. The Conshelf is picking up the load.

P.S. Is there a trick for removing the bumpers?

That’s correct. They are so nice I haven’t gotten them wet yet. The Conshelf is picking up the load.

P.S. Is there a trick for removing the bumpers?

Put them in warm (hot) water and let them sit a while (remove the top cover, not the whole reg), that is how they went on. That was so long ago that I installed those bumpers I really do not remember much other than I put them in a pan of hot water.

The bump covers are cool looking but like tank boots they were known to cause corrosion (and split). The set you have I do not think, trying to remember, ever saw saltwater use as I mostly used Conshelfs during that era for that purpose. I think one of them was brand new.

James

Put them in warm (hot) water and let them sit a while (remove the top cover, not the whole reg), that is how they went on. That was so long ago that I installed those bumpers I really do not remember much other than I put them in a pan of hot water.

The bump covers are cool looking but like tank boots they were known to cause corrosion (and split). The set you have I do not think, trying to remember, ever saw saltwater use as I mostly used Conshelfs during that era for that purpose. I think one of them was brand new.

James
Thanks. Hot water helps with lots of things.

Finally became a Mares Service tech - explored all the new equipment.

Quick breakdown for anyone interested -

The 28XR 1st Stage comes equipped with the Twin Balanced Piston, sealed Cold Water Kit as standard.
The 62/72/82x can all be switched over to the TPB/CWD if needed.

Its an interesting design. I purchased an 82x Epic Adj with all the addons. Its still a diaphragm 1st stage, as there is still a poppet/pin assembly. When switching over to the TPB cold water sealed kit, the diaphragm comes out, and is replaced with a metal disk sealed with a large o-ring. The pin is pressed by this metal disk, just like the diaphragm would. The twin pistons interlock, almost like the XTX50, however everything is metal instead of plastic.

The Dual, Ultra, Atlas and Epic 2nd stages all come in Adjustable configurations, but on the Dual it is optional.

The Epic, and Atlas 2nd stage is all metal, with special coating. From what I could tell, the Atlas has replaced the Abyss, it is all metal without the special magic coating.

The odd one out is the 72x first stage, with so many ports its funny. Its a solid chuck of metal.

I don't know if I can answer any additional questions, but I'm happy to share my experiences.

I‘m new here and just read your intersting conversation about the similarity of the abyss and the XR DR.

I have a question about the first stage 52X.
Can it be safely used for technical/deep diving? If not, why?

I‘m currently with a dive school doing the PADI Tec 45 and my instructor (which is also a sales person in the dive shop) tells me, that I need(!) to upgrad my first stages to a more technical kit… e.g. mares XR25 or 28) I feel this is more of a sales pitch than really a safety concern…

If you look at the data sheet it‘s a top performing first stage. I own two of them and I wonder why they shouldnt be good enough for technical diving on a double config..?
…yes hose routing is not perfect but besides that… ?

Thank you for your inputs!

I have a question about the first stage 52X.
Can it be safely used for technical/deep diving? If not, why?

I‘m currently with a dive school doing the PADI Tec 45 and my instructor (which is also a sales person in the dive shop) tells me, that I need(!) to upgrad my first stages to a more technical kit… e.g. mares XR25 or 28) I feel this is more of a sales pitch than really a safety concern…

If you look at the data sheet it‘s a top performing first stage. I own two of them and I wonder why they shouldnt be good enough for technical diving on a double config..?
…yes hose routing is not perfect but besides that… ?

Thank you for your inputs!
There is no reason I can think of to disqualify it for technical diving. It's EN250A certified. Mares also used to bundle it with an Abyss second as their top performing reg.

If the instructor can't come up with a quantitative standard of what is acceptable and why the 52X fails, then s/he's either willfully ignorant or dishonest. Either way, I would be looking elsewhere.

There is no reason I can think of to disqualify it for technical diving. It's EN250A certified. Mares also used to bundle it with an Abyss second as their top performing reg.

If the instructor can't come up with a quantitative standard of what is acceptable and why the 52X fails, then s/he's either willfully ignorant or dishonest. Either way, I would be looking elsewhere.
Thank you! These were my thoughts but I got quite confused when all these desk-divers and shop owners want me to upgrad for no quantitative reason!

Mares also used to bundle it with an Abyss second as their top performing reg.
So technically. Since the new second XR DR ist tha same as the Abyss. I could swop my banged up Fusion with a XR DR and my 52X could handle it well?

So technically. Since the new second XR DR ist tha same as the Abyss. I could swop my banged up Fusion with a XR DR and my 52X could handle it well?
All Mares firsts work with all Mares seconds. They have the same IP specs. Beyond that neither stage has any way of knowing what's on the other end of the hose :)

Back
Top Bottom