Understanding Mares lineup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the instructor can't come up with a quantitative standard of what is acceptable and why the 52X fails, then s/he's either willfully ignorant or dishonest. Either way, I would be looking elsewhere.

Perhaps the manufacturer, Mares, told them this since they are dealers? I know from my days as a retailer/dive shop, manufacturers tell us not to sell a certain model to technical divers because they aren't up to the task for various reasons.

I also know of big name technical instructors who specify the exact model of a certain brand of regulators and dive computer that can be used in their courses and nothing else.

Perhaps the manufacturer, Mares, told them this since they are dealers? I know from my days as a retailer/dive shop, manufacturers tell us not to sell a certain model to technical divers because they aren't up to the task for various reasons.

I also know of big name technical instructors who specify the exact model of a certain brand of regulators and dive computer that can be used in their courses and nothing else.

Those are the instructors I would recommend one should avoid...no matter how "big name" they might be.

To the OP,
There are lots of different reg brands and models on the market, most are no better or worse than the next. The MR52 is a solid performing 1st stage and will perform as well or better than most other quality 1st stages one can buy...the only issue I have with Mares is that parts are generally not available through dive shops in the US for self-service....but that is no different for almost all reg brands with the exception of a specific few.

Also, you might need 2 for your tech course if you will be diving with double or stage cylinders.

-Z

The MR52 is a solid performing 1st stage and will perform as well or better than most other quality 1st stages one can buy...the only issue I have with Mares is that parts are generally not available through dive shops in the US for self-service....but that is no different for almost all reg brands with the exception of a specific few.

Also, you might need 2 for your tech course if you will be diving with double or stage cylinders.
Thank you! That's what I thought.
...and even the hose routing is not too bad for doubles compared to the Apeks DS4 which a lot of guys around here have.

I already have two 52X first stages. I dove doubles with them and have been could water diving with a single tank H-valve for years.

Only now going deeper and more technical suddenly these first stages seemed "not good" enough.

I now see the problem in my fellow swiss divers and instructors not my equipment. It doesn't matter if ist dive gear, mountainbikes, skies, hiking or camping gear or even mobile phones... Here in Switzerland everybody *needs* this years-top of the line-carbon- limited edition-professional-military grade product.

I almost upgraded my gear for a lot of money but no reason beside snobby peer pressure ;-)
Thank you all for your inputs, recommendations and explanations and allowing me to go a bit off topic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom