Understanding Air Tank Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This is part two in my search to identify the best BP and wings combination. I think I need a little more help here. The number, size, and construction of tanks will directly affect buoyancy (part one http://www.scubaboard.com/t8838/s.html ). So, I’m trying to work out a methodology for selecting the right tank configuration.

The fist step would be to determine the amount of air I need, because unfortunately I can’t take it all with me! My assumption is that all dives will be planned as no-deco dives. So it seems that the key is to have sufficient air to reach the maximum no- decompression bottom time and safely surface, including a safety stop, with an acceptable safety margin left over.

In that case the amount of air required for any given depth is equal to:

SAC (under the worst conditions) times the maximum bottom time
+ SAC (under the worst conditions) at 15 FSW times 5 minutes (safety stop)
+ minimal reserve (say 500 psi times tank volume)

Once again any corrections, comments, or additions are greatly appreciated. Insults are only appreciated if accompanied by exceptional wit!

Thanks,
Mike

MikeS,..Include in the mix the following as well.Maximum expected depth,minimum temerature(hence exposure protection wet or dry)price,concerns on fills if taking a DIN tank travelling.And don't forget the dive shops favorite selling point ......color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom