underglove for wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last weekend, I went diving in really cold water (36-39 F). I had mitten (7 mm), but water fiound it's way to easily inside, frozing my hands and reducing my diving time.

As for my feet, I had neoprene socks in my boot and my feet were fine. So I was thinking, is there the equivalent of neoprene socks for the hands, like neoprene under glove or under mitten.

I looked at different web site of wetsuit manufacturer, but I found nothing.

Except going drysuit diving, is there a way not to froze my hands in cold water?

How snugly does your wetsuit fit you? When you remove it you should see the imprint from the stitching. If it was a loose fit then you wore a water pump, not a wetsuit.

It is possible to get a light neoprene wetsuit that will tighten things up. They are as thin as 1/2mm. A Lycra dive skin may tighten some looseness but ts thermally worthless in it's own right.

Pete

After re-reading my post, I think I misexplained my problem. I don't have a problem with water entering the wetsuit, just the hands. My Henderson wetsuit is perftly fitting me and I wore over that a Bare velocity vest. Moreover, I had a Aeroskin made of polartek under the wetsuit.

First of all that is cold water for diving wet and with wet gloves on top of that.

Since you are diving wet water will infiltrate the glove and any water at that temperature will be uncomfortable. Last winter I had a pinhole in a 5mm wet glove and while diving dry that pinhole felt like a needle prick with the cold water coming in direct on the spot. Since you are diving wet your blood is already cooling as you reach your hands and that will make it worse.

While this goes against common practice I have had excellent results with a wet (Bare 5mm gauntlet) glove that is a little generous in size. I find that my palms warm that small reserve of water ans when I flex my fingers it is pumped to my fingertips and warms them. The gauntlet also doubles up on your wrist where the blood flows close to the surface. Of course it also provides a fairly food resistance to water entry as well.

The bottom line is that few wet divers will dive at those temperatures with comfortable hands. Most are happy to remain functional!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom