undergarments/neoprene suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HPT3

Reaction score
Being new to drysuit diving and still looking for the right suit. I have found some reasonably priced neoprene suits, such as the Henderson. Does one typically wear undergarments with a suit like that?

Depends on the temperature.

My spouse uses a 7mm neoprene suit in 40-50 degree water and normally just wears a pair of sweats to avoid a clammy feeling. In colder water you could add heavier underwear.

Just keep in mind that you NEED cold water to dive a neoprene dry suit. In a tri-lam shell suit you can dive water as warm as 75 F with light undergarments and be comfortable.

Why would you dive water this warm dry?? Because you are making lake dives for the weekend, and the shallow dives will be 70-75 F but the deep dives will be 40-50 F. Easier to swap undergarments between dives than to bring all your drysuit equipment plus a wetsuit/boots/smaller fins for the shallow dives.

Hope this info helps,
theskull

I use a semi-compressed neoprene dry suit (5mm) and use military surplus polypro undergarments. Paid twenty a half for the underwear. An advantage of synthetics like polypro is that it will wick moisture away from your skin. Chances are you will perspire in whatever suit you use. I have not used the suit below 38 degrees but have also not been cold at all, even doing multiple dives with fairly long surface intervals in cold air temps. In mentioning that you are looking at neoprene you have opened a can of worms- alot of shell suit users will swear that what they use is the best. For them and their enviroment it may be the case but there are compromises that apply to shell suits also. Neoprene has a lot of advantages for cold water winter diving.

Unless it is already "crushed" or "compressed" the neoprene will compress at depth and reduce the insulation value. So,
YES you will need some sort of undergarments. Keep that
in mind when being fitted for the suit. Do NOT wear cotton
under any drysuit. It might feel more comfortable than
polypro, etc. but it will be very UNcomfortable if it becomes
wet.

HPT3:
Being new to drysuit diving and still looking for the right suit. I have found some reasonably priced neoprene suits, such as the Henderson. Does one typically wear undergarments with a suit like that?

Back
Top Bottom