Undergarments, gloves and socks for long cold dives? Normal people need not apply, lol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitrzac

Contributor
Reaction score
My setup right now is a fourth element halo + xerotherm. I have a j2 but I haven't noticed much difference with it on.
Gloves are wool liners RefrigiWear Military Style Ragg Wool Glove Liners (Green, Large/X-Large) - PACK OF 12 PAIRS at Amazon Men’s Clothing store
Socks are plain hunting wool socks.

Anything 50*+ is perfect for a 2+hr dive.
I can double up the gloves/socks for colder water, but its not ideal.
Besides adding heat, is there anything thats significantly warmer than what I have?

What is everyone doing when they're looking to do 2+hrs in the 36-45* range?

Weezel extreme vs halo?

I have fourth element hotfoot pro socks as well, they're better for when the ground is cold, but not noticibly better when it's not.
Wool is warmer than the g1 liners.

I'll add fourth element socks on top of my wool socks for cold water. I'm not down that long though. Gloves I'm curious myself.

I'll add fourth element socks on top of my wool socks for cold water. I'm not down that long though. Gloves I'm curious myself.

No two hour dives - yet, but I do this too. Merino wool socks from REI under FE Arctic socks.

Thermolution vest if you’re not running a can light or don’t want to get one.

Merino wool works very well as a base layer.

Fourth Element’s X-Core vest is good for adding warmth without too much bulk.

I dive frequently in 39f/4c waters. Merino wool base layer all around dramatically helps improve core temps. I use Smartwool top & bottoms, Costco wool hiking socks, and army surplus wool glove liners. Over that I use a Santi BZ400 and a
5/10 hood. For 2 hour dives I'll add a heated vest. Keeping your core warm will keep your hands warm.

I dive frequently in 39f/4c waters. Merino wool base layer all around dramatically helps improve core temps. I use Smartwool top & bottoms, Costco wool hiking socks, and army surplus wool glove liners. Over that I use a Santi BZ400 and a
5/10 hood. For 2 hour dives I'll add a heated vest. Keeping your core warm will keep your hands warm.

Which heated vest do you use?

Which heated vest do you use?
I have Santi BZ200 heated vest and a UWLD 160WH battery and controller. My BZ400 is the heated version so depending on the dive plan I'll either use the BZ400 unplugged, plugged in with or without a vest, or unplugged with the vest plugged in. (The heated suit uses about twice the power as the vest so temps, time, battery life, mood, etc decide what combo gets used)

I have Santi BZ200 heated vest and a UWLD 160WH battery and controller. My BZ400 is the heated version so depending on the dive plan I'll either use the BZ400 unplugged, plugged in with or without a vest, or unplugged with the vest plugged in. (The heated suit uses about twice the power as the vest so temps, time, battery life, mood, etc decide what combo gets used)

Thanks @Jack Hammer that does seem to offer the most options for very cold water

Thanks @Jack Hammer that does seem to offer the most options for very cold water
I had the heated vest long before I picked up the heated BZ400 from a friend. Since getting that I only add the vest for long dives in very cold water. A friend has both too and added the Santi inflator with 2 leads so he can wear the vest as a backup if there was a fault in the suit or choose to turn on the the vest, heated suit, or both during a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom