Undergarments for the short term?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am getting a Drysuit from DRIS and also getting one of the upgraded warranties. With that undergarments are going to be tough. Other than merino, what else can I use to get me through a month or so till I can afford purpose undergarments?

mom in Kentucky and only plan one or two dives in the 45 degree range.
It's kinda difficult to inexpensively cobble together temporary undergarments for the temps you are asking about, especially for your lower half. You may get lucky if you have ski or snowmobile gear as some of that can work. Some poly sweat pants can work in a bind but they're not great. Fleece and wool are good options. I'd try to borrow something, even if it's for warmer waters. You can add to it to make it doable. That or look for used undergarments.

I used a set of polypro pants and jacket that I got for like $50 total at REI for a while as my "light weight" DS undies (I got the heavy weight ones as part of the original suit package). If you can also scare up a wicking layer (I had some underarmour cold gear already) you'll be in decent shape. Get some smart-wool, or real wool hiking socks too...

Whenever I forget and wear a cotton shirt, I regret it afterwards - it traps any moisture (sweat, condensation, or worst case a leak). I have a couple of cheap "performance" fabric shirts that come out nearly dry every time.

Thermal/wicking tight base layer like underarmor or similar + several stacked layers of fleece pants/shirts + two pairs of wool socks will be quite warm for cheap. No cotton! The thicker the fleece the better. Check out thrift stores etc. for fleece pajama type stuff used (maybe even a onesie!). Cabellas or Bass Pro will have warm fleece as the insulating layers hunters wear when they're sitting out in the cold for hours. You can cut the collars/hoods off fleece tops to fit under the neckseal better.

A good hood and gloves go a long way.

Wearing a wetsuit under a drysuit can work in a pinch.

I just did my CCR cave course. Did it in a combination of wetsuits, most dives were in my 3 mil, some in a 5 mil, and almost 4 hours at Peacock in a very used rental 3/2 mil. That was a cold day.

I have a drysuit that I've never had in the water. For the most part I was good for several hours in a 3 mil, the 5 mil was obviously more comfortable. For cave diving, I think I should switch to a drysuit for the backup buoyancy. In a trilam suit, for 72 degree water, I'm thinking just fairly light base layer would be OK. I've found a few on Amazon that look pretty decent. I also have a Sharkskin Chillproof wetsuit that I think might be a decent option, unless I decide to go with the p-valve.

I have a pretty high tolerance for cold water (to a point) but would like to warm up a bit for better deco on those longer dives.

Thoughts?

So there seems to be some mythology that drysuit undergarments are super special and unique. Can someone point out the differences between the fleece they use and say a company thats been building wet weather gear since the start of time like Guy Cotten? Or how about outdoor companies like Patagonia? Or even North Face? Arc'teryx?

Reactions: OTF
The drysuit fleece generally has a tighter fit. Not snug as in a size or two too small, but not as baggy as street fleece. A much more accurate fit to the body.

The light drysuit fleece isn't that different then street fleece, but the heavy stuff is much thicker and more dense (not as fluffy). You can even find the front being a bit more loaded than the back (you get the air bubble at your back).

The neck is generally cut different for drysuit use. A lot of the street fleece has hoods or big bulky collars. Drysuit use has a lot less collar to fit a neck seal.

Buy Used?

I went down this path. I settled on buying used Military Gen III levels 1 and 2 bottom and tops from ebay which worked fine. Maybe a little on the cooler side in 50-degree water but I wasn't cold.

I have since replaced that with used Arctic undergarments I bought on Subaboard.

The suit I have on order is a Fusion Sport aircore. I have some under armor like base layer, some merino long underwear and a polyester pair of thermals that have a fleece like inner surface.

I will buy some 4th element or similar (or get for Christmas) but I’m just trying to get 1-2 dives in the next month or so. The coldest temp will be on my aow deep dive where temps hold in the mid to upper 40’s year round.

The suit I have on order is a Fusion Sport aircore. I have some under armor like base layer, some merino long underwear and a polyester pair of thermals that have a fleece like inner surface.

I will buy some 4th element or similar (or get for Christmas) but I’m just trying to get 1-2 dives in the next month or so. The coldest temp will be on my aow deep dive where temps hold in the mid to upper 40’s year round.

Keep your eyes out for used Fourth Element here, as well as on the various scuba sale groups on FB.

Back
Top Bottom