Undergarment recommendations for COLD water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4th Element has an outstanding layering system that eliminates bulk and also +1 to me...is designed to allow gas"air" travel, reducing the slow dumping as an ascent is in progress. +1 to the manufacturers that consider diving a drysuit into there design rather than just a comfy sleeping bag under my drysuit.

Has anyone dived both the Santi Extreme 400 and the Whites MK3 in similar conditions? I get cold in the MK3 and was considering the Santi for added warmth without creating more bulk by having another layer under my MK3. Thanks.

Wayne must be slipping. No mention of the Santi heated undergarments? I bought the heated vest and they now have a heated full undersuit.

Has anyone dived both the Santi Extreme 400 and the Whites MK3 in similar conditions? I get cold in the MK3 and was considering the Santi for added warmth without creating more bulk by having another layer under my MK3. Thanks.
Hi Christophe.

I own a Whites Mk3, as well as a Santi BZ 400. Both are extremely warm, with a slight edge to the Santi. By this I mean that a Mk3 in 42 degree F water will feel the same as the Santi in 39 degree water.

The Santi is a custom cut suit, and I was very impressed with the cut on the shoulders, as well as the "motorcycle knees", both of which give better than average flexibility for a Thinsulate suit. I found that I was able to drop a couple of pounds from the Mk3, but surprisingly, not as much as I anticipated.

Over the last year, my Santi BZ 400 has been my "gold standard", easily making hour long scooter dives in 45 degree water, and staying snug (as a aside, I mentally equate scootering in cold water as subtracting 5 degrees from the water temperature, due to the total lack of exertion).

However.

Over the last two months, I have been able to dive the new Whites' Thermal Fusion undergarment. Pretty much everything I can say at this point will sound like the derainged babbelings of someone breathing nitrous oxide, BUT, in a nutshell:
  • It's a "couple degrees" warmer than my Santi BZ 400
  • I was able to shed 5 lbs
  • It is as flexible as a pair of running shorts and a tee shirt. Really.
  • The legs are far easier to slip into the drysuit.

Right now, the Thermal Fusion is my first choice for cold water. It is as big of a leap in undergarment design, as the Fusion was in drysuit design.

All the best, James

Thank you James. I will also look into the Whites' Thermal Fusion undergarment as well.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom