Undergarment options: Lavacore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to be purchasing a DUI drysuit in the coming weeks and have been contemplating different undergarment ideas. I've heard a lot of buzz lately about the new Lavacore being used as undergarments. Anyone try this? I will be diving in Monterey mostly and need something comparable to a 300 g weight undergarment. I'd love people's thoughts and ideas, especially if you've tried the lavacore as an undergarment.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me at least a vest from Lavacore. I believe they are supposed to give you the equivalent thermal value of a 3mm suit. I'm going to use my vest and eventually pants for my summer undergarment. I'm going to use the socks for my winter (TN doesn't have much of a winter) foot wear. I hope this helps you figure the thermal value. I also understand that Lavacore doesn't compress as neoprene might, so you will maintain the thermal value at depth. The ONLY negative I've read is that Lavacore will be sort of snaggy, and the graphics come off easily. HTH.

ETA: welcome to the boards.

I used the Lavacore as an undergarmet on one dive in Canada in August. Under it, I wore some polartec base layers from REI, as suggested by someone else in another thread I can't find now.

I found it acceptably warm, though not quite as warm as the big, bulky, old undergarmet I was aiming to replace. Unfortunately the wrist seal on my dry suit tore near the end of the dive, so that was it -- I rented a wet suit after that. Next time I cold water dive and get my dry suit repaired, I will certainly try the same configuration again.

I also just did 6 dives in Hawaii using the Lavacore only as a wet suit. That was fine, also. Again a little colder than a 3 mm full body wet suit, but for the space and weight it saves in my gear bag, it was just fine and will definitely do it again. It's still better than the shorty I had used in Hawaii previously.

By the way, I agree it is in fact a bit snaggy but so far no major damage, just cosmetic.

Back
Top Bottom