Undercurrent--"Why Divers Die"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I debated this internally before I decided to post this.

I am an overweight diver. After not diving for almost 30 years, here are the differences between a very fit teenage diver (175lbs, water polo player and wrestler) and my current 55 year old, overweight body. Buoyancy is not a problem as long as I know how much lead to carry. Then – (5ml full, 80 al tank) 18-20 lbs of lead. Now, (7mil full, 80 al tank) I carry 35-38 lbs. My skills have returned, my air consumption is getting better. The single hardest part now is putting on fins in that 7ml suit! At depth, I do have to add air to my wing and when holding at the safety stop, with 700-800lbs of air, I have to insure that my wing is empty. I doubt that differs from most of you, albeit I may have to add more air to maintain perfect control. I consider myself a very good diver with very good buoyancy and swimming skills. I realize DCS is more likely in overweight divers so I plan my dives accordingly. I also plan on getting Nitrox certified very soon.

In order to get my lovely bride certified, I also became re-certified. During the swim test, I started last out of 10 swimmers and finished 1st. I have lost 30+ lbs and quit smoking (1 year now). I am stronger than most but still need to work out more. I am very physically active and work hard.

The bottom line here is safety. Yours and mine. As for being a safe buddy, believe me, I am able to save you if you need air, a long tow, narced, lost, injured or have equipment failure. Being overweight has little to do with me helping you and nothing to do with you helping me short of lifting me back on the boat. However, unless you’re a Doctor with an underwater defibrillator, I doubt most would be able to save me if I had a heart attack at 80’.

When I dive my main concern is my wife’s safety. As long as she is fine, all is good. I have no plans to do any reckless or very deep diving with her. She loves to watch the underwater world at a leisurely pace. I did all that risky stuff as a youth and have no need for it today.

I would tell you to encourage overweight divers to dive more. After all, the more time overweight people spend diving, the better their fitness level will be and who knows, maybe they will save your life someday.

Dave

vladimir:
I agree with you Mike, that poor skills/training are probably the primary cause of diver deaths. Perhaps obesity is the straw that often breaks the camel's back when poorly trained divers get into trouble.

I'm sure there is almost an infinate number of mental and physical things that can complicate the dive.

MikeFerrara:
But...if a BMI of 30 is indicative of someone who will have trouble performing dive related tasks (must be true if they get killed diving), ...

Wait though. You're making a leap that isn't so. Poor diving skills are not the only reason that people die diving, are they? Can't be.

If someone is riding a bicycle and suffers a massive coronary and dies, what sort of riding competency could they have accomplished that would have made a difference? If they swerved into oncoming traffic upon having the attack and were struck by a car, you wouldn't say that better riding skills or riding on a path would have made a difference. The two events aren't related except that participation in one may have brought on the other.

Undercurrent isn't saying that BMI > 30 divers have bad skills, or cannot perform skills as well as someone < 30 and that is why they die. They are saying that divers with a BMI > 30 may be more at risk of incidents that can be exacerbated by the circumstances involved in diving, such as overexertion, heat, fatigue, etc.

I don't think they ever said that people with BMI > 30 were any more or less competent than anyone else.

We've had a lot more incidents here of heart attack and such since the required doctor medical was replaced by self-cert to dive. That should say something about fitness to dive these days.

Sort of related note, my TDI instructor refused to allow smokers onto any of his tech courses.

Fish_Whisperer:
Dave, congratulations on quitting smoking!! One whole year!! That's great!

I quit six weeks ago. :)

Good Job Fish- I quit upon the birth of my first grandchild.

Just one more thought. If you were a 6’-3” 225 diver suddenly finds themselves in a situation where you need to be towed to shore, 200 yards away, up current in moderate surf, who would you want to get you back? A fit, 105 pound female diver or an overweight, 6’ tall, strong swimmer? (Spare me the “But is she cute?”, comments.)

Dave

While I don't know the exact numbers I would have to say that around here there are a lot more large overweight divers than small skinny ones. For example, when I was looking to buy a wetsuit every shop in town seemed to have multiple 3Xs and other large sizes but I had a heck of a time finding a small. While there could be a lot of reasons for this I think that it is because they get more large customers than small ones.

~Jess

JessH:
While I don't know the exact numbers I would have to say that around here there are a lot more large overweight divers than small skinny ones. For example, when I was looking to buy a wetsuit every shop in town seemed to have multiple 3Xs and other large sizes but I had a heck of a time finding a small. While there could be a lot of reasons for this I think that it is because they get more large customers than small ones.

~Jess
I suspect that means all the smalls got sold and all the 3X sizes didn't ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom