Undercurrent--"Why Divers Die"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Local rules come into play over agency rules. Even those that will allow a snorkel as opposed to swim test elsewhere have to do a proper swim test in europe (including padi).

As for BMI, mines around 23 but ive got a noticable stomach starting to appear so i guess its not too accurate in my case :)

Charlie59:
Sure, that's right, that's why NIH and CDC use it in population evaluation. The government loves to throw away your money.

Where have you been. The government throws away money. In fact, that's what they do for a living. LOL

Wait a second here. This thread is full of people saying "I'm obese but I'm in great shape". What about situations underwater that require full aerobic capacity: Getting caught in a strong current, getting entangled, adrenaline surges, and panicking. All those things get a person's heart rate soaring, and air consumption skyrocketing. Maybe this will cause an obese person to pass out or have a heart attack, whereas a normal person wouldn't.

CatalinaCanuck:
Your right...My BMI is 32.5...I actually feel pretty good. I don't think I'm obese.

Looking good, feeling fine, another great "trim picture"

MikeFerrara:
Where did the 30 and 70 come from?

If 45% of the dead divers are obese that's 45 of the 100 total.

If 55% divers are not obese of the 100 divers thats 55 divers.
The 30 and 70 come from;
"Lets assume that divers are "average joes" with the mentioned 30% being obese."
It was mentioned earlier that 30% of the population is obese (BMI >30)

mdb:
Looking good, feeling fine, another great "trim picture"
According to the BMI calculator i found online, im bordering OVERWEIGHT.
Wonder why everyone say im too slim..

Charlie59:
Sure, that's right, that's why NIH and CDC use it in population evaluation. The government loves to throw away your money.

I see alot of folks with "BMI issues" and I can tell you it is a small minority that has these issues due to resistance training (more like lack of resistance training).

Charlie, sometimes simplicity is valued more than accuracy. With a BMI all you need to know is height and weight which most people know. To do body fat percentage you need someone trained to measure it accurately. The body fat scales do not work as well as someone trained to take the measurement.

It is not a small issue, people do have different body types: ectomorphs, endomorphs, and mesomorphs. Compare Paris Hilton and Anna Nichole Smith (when she was the guess jeans girl) Ana could never diet down to be as thin as Paris.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom