Undercurrent--"Why Divers Die"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have a little pot- belly but otherwise in good shape!
it makes a big difference if your fat or obese......thats a no- brainer surely!
when im fit, i do everything better....
as for accidents, i thought running out of air was the biggest cause of death?

I have to say it is accurate - it says I'm overweight- I am. (BMI 31)I can also swim a 500 in about 7:30, tow a diver 100 meters (not 50) - tread water 15 minutes or more- and do both a DNR with 40 feet to the gear and a bailout with a 300 meter swim carriyng a 10 pound weight belt - I just did this to qualify to take a course - but guess what? I still will side with the too fat to dive people- I am too big to be as healthy as I should be in diving- I notice that nitrogen bubbles love fat and aside from this - who says you can't do some qualifying things and still not have a heart attack just waking up - If I lose only 20 pounds my BMI would be lots more healthy for diving- so I agree with the BMI.

MikeFerrara:
The mask, snorkel and fin thing that PADI now allows is not swimming. There are people who can push themselves with fins while breathing on a snorkel that can't swim at all without equipment.
QUOTE]

Well since most divers wear fins, and many wear snorkels..........I'd say that swiming with mask, fins and snorkels is swiming in the context of scuba diving.

lazyturtle:
MikeFerrara:
The mask, snorkel and fin thing that PADI now allows is not swimming. There are people who can push themselves with fins while breathing on a snorkel that can't swim at all without equipment.
Well since most divers wear fins, and many wear snorkels..........I'd say that swiming with mask, fins and snorkels is swiming in the context of scuba diving.
And in the event of losing your fins for some reason? Then youre just gonna sit there praying everything will work out?

Tigerman:
And in the event of losing your fins for some reason? Then youre just gonna sit there praying everything will work out?
Hmmm ... well, in that case unless you decide to ditch the rest of your scuba kit you're just gonna sit there anyway ... whether you know how to swim or not.

On the other hand, I'm firmly in the camp of those who believe that if you can't swim you shouldn't be scuba diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... well, in that case unless you decide to ditch the rest of your scuba kit you're just gonna sit there anyway ... whether you know how to swim or not.

On the other hand, I'm firmly in the camp of those who believe that if you can't swim you shouldn't be scuba diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I actually did swim a little without fins but with the rest of the scuba gear once.. Handed off my fins to the guy on the pier, started climbing the ladder and what happens? Murphy yank be back into the water.. Wasnt EASY to swim with no fins for sure, but if I couldnt swim without fins, it would be impossible..
On the other hand.. If i was more than 5 meters from shore, I guess ditching the gear and going back for it would be preferrable (Altho not GOOD.. What if someone else ran off with it?)

lazyturtle:
MikeFerrara:
QUOTE]

You're kidding right? Fins and masks can (and do) come off. Certainly niether should be required in order to sustain life. Heck, It's probably a good idea to know how to swim if you going to be anywhere near the water.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd say that's a no brainer

MikeFerrara:

In the four years I ran a dive shop I had quit a few people sign up for classes who couldn't swim. I had some who couldn't sustain themselves at all in the water and I had several who couldn't make it the 100 yards.

PADI allows them to do the swim test with mask and fins??? What?! How is that a swim test?? They no longer require the un-aided test?

DawgDiver:
PADI allows them to do the swim test with mask and fins??? What?! How is that a swim test?? They no longer require the un-aided test?

Why single out PADI? This is a WRSTC standard. Here is the exact wording from them:

(2) Physical Conditioning and Watermanship Evaluation. The student shall effectively
demonstrate basic watermanship ability by performing, to an instructor, the watermanship evaluation required by a training organization. This watermanship evaluation shall include either: a) continuous 200 yard (183 metre) surface distance swim and a 10 minute survival swim/float without the use of mask, fins, snorkel or of other swimming aids; b) 300 yard swim using mask, fins and snorkel, and a 10 minute survival swim/float without mask, fins, snorkel or other swimming aid. If an exposure suit is used, the wearer must be neutrally buoyant at the surface.​

This standard is used by a number of agencies that are members.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom