Under water camera for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limpabit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody.

I'm a newbie diver going put to Khao Lak in January. I've had two GroPro's, 1 on 2. But the GoPro 2 died. I was using the both for track days. Died just before I have a chance to try it diving!:(

I've purchased an Octomask to use with the GoPro. But what is peoples opinion of the GoPro for underwater diving? Is there other just as good at theat price orange? Other tips like filters to use with the go Pro?

Was hoping, if the GoPro's are ok for diving, waiting for the GoPro 4. hoping it will arrive before I go.

Let me know your thoughts.:)

I've used a GoPro 2 with dive housing several times and would recommend it. Havent heard anything about the GoPro4 yet.

Is there anything special like filters I need to consider? If so what do I need?

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2013 at 01:04 AM ----------

Just after I posted this, noticed an advertisement, for the flip filters. Looks like I need different filters, for different depths.

Not sure if this is helpful. I just bought a seaLife 1400 and love it. No red filters though; you just set the white balance at depth. I feel like I'm getting good color even at 80-90 without the strobe. Its small, has good accessories, and is very easy to use with large format buttons. Still figuring it out but for the price, I've been REALLY impressed.

That looks like a good camera. On there web site, it looks like it can use the gopro mounts as well. Handy for when I want to use it in track days..

Only thing you will need is a gopro hero 3 black shooting in 1080 60fps auto settings with a red lens filter you can buy from polarpro/srp/backscatter. Nothing more. Point and shoot. Stay 1ft away from thing you are filming as gopros have 1ft focal length.

If you can wait until hero 4 comes out it will be pretty much twice as good as hero 3 black... however it might cost more than hero 3, especially since those are on sale. It is difficult to know when 4 model is coming out but specs on it are insane. A9 chip allows 240fps at 720 and 120fps at 1080.

My projection is that hero 4 will be announced in mid october and starts to hit stores/ship around mid november.

Thanks Yarik. Not going until January, so not in any immediate hurry. How long after the camera is released, do the red filters become available for sale? How long was it for the hero 3?

I've used a GoPro 2 with dive housing several times and would recommend it. Havent heard anything about the GoPro4 yet.
Hi byrdie! Im new to diving and uw cameras. Id like to ask which underwater mount do you use? And which do you recommend so i can click photos/ videos for myself underwater and also adjust at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom