Under water camera for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can wait until hero 4 comes out it will be pretty much twice as good as hero 3 black... however it might cost more than hero 3, especially since those are on sale. It is difficult to know when 4 model is coming out but specs on it are insane. A9 chip allows 240fps at 720 and 120fps at 1080.

My projection is that hero 4 will be announced in mid october and starts to hit stores/ship around mid november.

Sounds great. Where did they release the specs ?

I've got the Octomask ready for filming. I have a gopro 1 but not worth it in the waters here.

Don't think they have released the specs yet. It looks like assumptions at the minute due to the new CPU that is out.

What do you use for filming Ronscuba? Videos look great!

Thanks. Most of my UW videos were shot with a Sony FX7 and Gates housing. I sold it a few years ago as I don't dive as much as I used to and it is too big for casual shooting.

I do have a Belize video shot with a GoPro Hero3.

Last edited:
I use an Intova HD and a GoPro 3. The Intova comes with a viewfinder built in but the image quality is not as good as the GoPro. Go Pro also comes with free software that allows you to eliminate the fisheye effect without losing any of the image and the Hero 3 comes with more options like higher frame rates to get slo mo. I use the Intova for everyday dives and save the GoPro for spectacular locations. I wouldn't want the GoPro housing to flood while I'm practicing in a local lake, but if I lose the Intova that way, I wouldn't sweat it so much.

Thanks. Most of my UW videos were shot with a Sony FX7 and Gates housing. I sold it a few years ago as I don't dive as much as I used to and it is too big for casual shooting.

I do have a Belize video shot with a GoPro Hero3.
Hi ron! I saw ur first post regarding lx7 vs hero 3. I had lx7 but 1st time i dove with it forgot to lock the housing so my camera got busted. Do u recommend i buy the same camera rather than the hero 3? Thanks a lot.

The Panasonic LX7 is a much better camera than the GoPro hero 3 and I really doubt the hero 4 will be able to compete against the LX7.

The GoPro is great for casual hobbyist use. The LX7 is bigger and more expensive, but you get a better more versatile camera that you can grow with.

Here is the thread I posted comparing the LX7 to the Hero3. To me it's a big difference. But ultimately you have to make the decision yourself if the difference warrants the additional $$.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/454375-gopro-vs-panasonic-lx7.html

I also posted a video a few weeks ago of Goliath Groupers shot with the LX7 at deep dark depths of 85-100 feet.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/464653-goliath-groupers-florida.html

Last edited:
Hmm as you mentioned, it's the case that costs the most. Think I'll wait for the gopro 4 to get released, then see the specs etc. I already have other mounts for it to clamp to the rollbar of the car as well etc. Also invested in the Octomask as well to clamp the camera to.

Thanks for letting me know the makes of cameras.

The GoPro really is perfect for 99% of divers.

UW video can be a very expensive hobby. IMHO, the real test if someone should spend money above and beyond the GoPro is if they enjoy editing their videos. If you enjoy the editing, that is a good sign you will be a little more serious, committed and appreciate the benefits of a more expensive system.

Last edited:
Hi byrdie! Im new to diving and uw cameras. Id like to ask which underwater mount do you use? And which do you recommend so i can click photos/ videos for myself underwater and also adjust at the same time.

I've used 2 pole mounts. One is the UK which is approx 8 inches long and the other is the Sealife which telescopes to a much longer length which I believe is 48 inches. Overall, I have found to prefer the shorter mount, especially is you want to snap pictures with the GoPro. The longer mount has the obvious advantage of getting closer to the subject which is good if you are shooting sharks, etc, but I have found that is is flimsy due to the telescoping length and therefore not as stable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom