under water boat hull cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catfish20

Reaction score
does anybody know of a company or an indavidual around nashville,TN that will dive down and clean larger boats while they are still docked??i am having trouble finding people to do this around here and there are alot of large boats here.is this somthing that is just not normal to do around here?

I don't know about Tn but I've cleaned boat hulls down here and it's just nasty work, no way around it. I know people that charge $5-10/foot for cleaning. I'm not sure what you're offering or what the slips look like, but it's not at all pleasant most of the time.

Rachel

You'll have a problem getting most "smart" divers in the water to clean the hull on a boat while it's in a marina....

why? Because Marina's are known to not meet electrical codes and have GFCI breakers on every circuit, power cables fall in water, short out, etc. A diver swimming into that "electrical field" is pretty helpless as he gets electrocuted underwater.

Even if you cut the power to the main dock and put a padlock on it, someone would be running their generator and it could have the same problems. Boat owners also are known for not maintaining their equipment just the same.....

Then add to the fact that most marinas still have boaters 'dump' sewage in them, even though they aren't supposed to.

It'e no wonder you're having trouble finding someone.

With that being said, there are plenty of dumb rednecks who'll do this type of work still that dont' think about any of this....

Well, go to the local dive shop. Sign up for OW class. While in class, tell the newbies you'll hire them for the job upon graduation. : )

Mike-s could not be more correct in his post. Along with what he said there are various types of very expensive coatings that need different types of cleaning techniques. If you screw up one of those it could cost you thousands of bucks. Unless you have insurance which could be almost impossible to get without a commercial rating.

It’s not the slam dunk money maker some think it is.

Gary D.

well i guess you can call me a dumb redneck!!i was asking the question because i had the idea to start doing it on the side and have had trouble finding info on it.so i figured why not try a message board LIKE THIS ONE!! but instead i get called a dumb redneck,so the next time please dont ASSUME anything!!!! WHAT A WARM WELCOM!!

any other help besides MIKE S would be appreciated. thanks.

Oh this is good...you must be new to scubaboard

all4scuba05:
Oh this is good...you must be new to scubaboard

Well yeah, his postcount is 3.

I actually have no idea how to could hold yourself on the boat to
do any kind of scrubbing...

Do people use suction cups for windows to hold to the
hull of the boats or ships?

:confused:

catfish20:
well i guess you can call me a dumb redneck!!i was asking the question because i had the idea to start doing it on the side and have had trouble finding info on it.so i figured why not try a message board LIKE THIS ONE!! but instead i get called a dumb redneck,so the next time please dont ASSUME anything!!!! WHAT A WARM WELCOM!!

any other help besides MIKE S would be appreciated. thanks.

Sounds like he just saved your dumb redneck butt! :)

For the record, I thought it was a good idea too! hehehe... Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom