Uncertainty on Wetsuit Fitment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minter66

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have done some searching and read through the posts on the forum, but I just can't get this question off my mind.

I just bought a used Henderson 7mm farmer john wetsuit. This particular wetsuit is to be used in November when I go on a 2 tank dive in Panama City, FL. Based on what I wore during training and my height and weight now (6' 2" at 209lbs) I figured a Large would work perfectly.

I already own 7mm Dacor L Farmer John bottoms and they worked perfectly in the bahamas so I figured a Large top would be the solution.

Well at first, I couldn't even get the Farmer John top on. It is a step through design, so I wiggled and strained and just could never get it to a position where I could zip the zipper. I gave up after 30 minutes of sweating and decided to re-sell it and go up to an XL. But after doing a hard workout and noticing my water weight drop 2 lbs (I was temp down to 208) I decided to give it "one more go". This time I really got my lowers into my crotch. Then I partially zipped the top up (1/3 up) and stepped into and just wiggled like there is no tomorrow.

Lo and behold, it fits, tight. I can zip it up and down easily and it is definitely not "so tight I cannot stand it," but I can see 1 or 2 veins in my hand raise slightly until I get the suit situated and then they calm down and lower back down.

This top is definitely more of a "second skin," and puts SLIGHT pressure against my chest, It feels particularly tight in the arm pits and my arms have a tendency to want to "spring outwards" like I have springs under my arms.

It is my reaction that it feels too tight, but I decided to go gung-ho and donned my BCD and hooded vest and mask and booties. By this time I am working up a pretty decent sweat. I am not feeling like I am about to pass out or anything, its just starting to get pretty warm in my house with the A/C set to 76*

Then I filled the bathtub with cold water and got in. Well the tub only let the water come up to my neck and honestly, I could only feel water coming into my gloves and booties. Everywhere else seemed "dry".

So as this retard in full scuba gear is splashing around in his bathtub trying to get wet (my dog was just perplexed at what I was doing, thank goodness my wife wasn't there to witness this show) I decide to get out and jump in a cold shower to try to get the water elsewhere.

Once I get in the shower things start to loosen up pretty good and I can feel cold water trickling in the hood and then into the top. I am in the shower just dancing around for 15 min getting water everywhere and I am not faint, I am quite warm still and I feel great. So I guess that is a good enough test.

I have the EASIEST time getting out of the suit. It all just slides off me perfectly and then I notice...the top of my bottoms never even got wet...

Sorry for the long scenario, but is this too tight? Or is this just right for 65* Florida water in November?

Will it stretch out over time?

Edit: Right now I am going on a diet and trying to get down to a target weight of 200 or 199 or somewhere around there...so i have 8 - 11 pounds to go...will this help or hinder?

It sounds pretty good to me if a few things check out....

That slight tightness in the chest. Does it hinder you inhaling or help you exhale? It's one thing to feel a slight hint of compression with the suit on you but it should not be a girdle. Your use of the term slight suggest that it's just right.

Did the springiness in the arms go away when you got the suit saturated? Size is one ting but you also need to consider proportion, we're not all just different sizes from the same pattern and it's the same for wetsuits. It's normal for there to be some pull from a dry fitting suit, especially when layered. Once wet it should be as comfortable as your pajamas. If that arm tension went away when soaked don't worry about it.

Dropping some weight is nothing but good and it sounds like the fit is snig enough not to be bothered by a little weight loss. In any case loose the weight, you'll be better off for it.

That suit in 65F should be exquisitely comfortable. Are you wearing a hooded vest or just a bibbed hood with it? 3 layers on the torso your usually be considered overkill.

Pete

the fit doesnt sound too bad, of course its tough to really know by just reading it. as spectrum pointed out the big question is how tight is slight tightness on the chest. also w/ saturation and depth you should get a little more movement. what were you wearing for your checkout dives, personally that is a lot of neoprene for 65 degree water, of course i also used to do 2 35 min dives at 130 feet in 38 degree water in just a regular 7 mill, but a farmer john bottom, top and hooded vest is a lot for that temp for me, if you lose the hooded vest and just go with a bibbed hood that may relieve the tightness in the chest...

My 7/5 fits "snug" when I put it on; I would never be able to zip it up by myself, always have to have a buddy help out with the final zip in back. In the water it is PERFECT. So the difficult zip is not really an issue.
Any chance you could find a local fitness center pool to jump into for a few minutes? most pools would be too warm for your suit but you could at least check for fit.

good luck!

It sounds pretty good to me if a few things check out....

That slight tightness in the chest. Does it hinder you inhaling or help you exhale? It's one thing to feel a slight hint of compression with the suit on you but it should not be a girdle. Your use of the term slight suggest that it's just right.

Did the springiness in the arms go away when you got the suit saturated? Size is one ting but you also need to consider proportion, we're not all just different sizes from the same pattern and it's the same for wetsuits. It's normal for there to be some pull from a dry fitting suit, especially when layered. Once wet it should be as comfortable as your pajamas. If that arm tension went away when soaked don't worry about it.

Dropping some weight is nothing but good and it sounds like the fit is snig enough not to be bothered by a little weight loss. In any case loose the weight, you'll be better off for it.

That suit in 65F should be exquisitely comfortable. Are you wearing a hooded vest or just a bibbed hood with it? 3 layers on the torso your usually be considered overkill.

Pete

Thank you for your input. I feel better about the suit size now. The tightness of the chest does not hinder my inhaling or exhaling. By slight I can just feel it on my chest, but I have no problems breathing otherwise I would have keeled over in my bathroom. I never got the suit fully saturated. But it did sort of seem like once I was being doused by my cold shower that I no longer noticed the arms pulling at me. I am wearing a hooded vest instead of a bibbed vest. I guess I did sort of go overboard on the layers, I just REALLY hate getting cold (thyroid issue). Thanks again!

the fit doesnt sound too bad, of course its tough to really know by just reading it. as spectrum pointed out the big question is how tight is slight tightness on the chest. also w/ saturation and depth you should get a little more movement. what were you wearing for your checkout dives, personally that is a lot of neoprene for 65 degree water, of course i also used to do 2 35 min dives at 130 feet in 38 degree water in just a regular 7 mill, but a farmer john bottom, top and hooded vest is a lot for that temp for me, if you lose the hooded vest and just go with a bibbed hood that may relieve the tightness in the chest...

Yeah, I know how it is. Unless you are in my shoes it is really hard to offer helpful advice, but I do appreciate it. For my checkout dives I was wearing either a 6 or 7mm full body suit with a bibbed hood. We did it in a spring fed lake in May where the bottom thermocline dipped under 60* and man that was a shock to a newby! Like I said above, I just didn't want to be cold but I am going to invest in just a bibbed hood as well as a hooded vest (just in case they get a northerner on the day of my dive and it gets REAL cold) I just know you lose about 20 - 40 % (some say 80%) of heat through your head, so I have to keep my head warm.

My 7/5 fits "snug" when I put it on; I would never be able to zip it up by myself, always have to have a buddy help out with the final zip in back. In the water it is PERFECT. So the difficult zip is not really an issue.
Any chance you could find a local fitness center pool to jump into for a few minutes? most pools would be too warm for your suit but you could at least check for fit.

good luck!

I am glad to hear that. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't get my zipper to go up. I couldn't even get it anywhere near. But I think my original problem was I was not pulling the suits all the way up into my crotch. My LDS where I got my first pool dives has a salt water pool that is 90* F year round. If I can stand the heat in my 7mm I can test it out in there.

Thank you all for your kind replies, I feel confident I have the correct size jacket, just the wrong type of hood:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom