Unbelievable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffku

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got my computer back from SCUBA PRO for servicing. We went for a dive on Monday and as I went to put it on it fell in two pieces. There was not a single screw placed holding it together. What a joke. How in the world did it pass "inspection" like that? What a disappointment in SCUBA PRO. Now it's sitting at the shop waiting for the screws to arrive before I leave on a dive trip in a couple of weeks. Glad in happened on land and at home and not on a dive in Cozumel. Makes me wonder what else is being missed.

Tiffku,

I checked up on your service and there was a mistake in assembly; our apologies. I beleive they are being rectified now via your LDS.

Seems to me that he got the "screw" after-all. :)
Deep down you know you want the best.*

*screws not included.

---------- Post added ----------

You really should have addressed this with your local dive shack before posting it here for the world to see. Everyone makes mistakes and it's very, very bad form to post like you did before giving those involved a chance to fix the situation.

I just got my computer back from SCUBA PRO for servicing. We went for a dive on Monday and as I went to put it on it fell in two pieces. There was not a single screw placed holding it together. What a joke. How in the world did it pass "inspection" like that? What a disappointment in SCUBA PRO. Now it's sitting at the shop waiting for the screws to arrive before I leave on a dive trip in a couple of weeks. Glad in happened on land and at home and not on a dive in Cozumel. Makes me wonder what else is being missed.

Tiffku,

I checked up on your service and there was a mistake in assembly; our apologies. I beleive they are being rectified now via your LDS.

Just a question. Has ScubaPro made any changes (or will they) in their procedures to prevent this from happening again? If nothing else, this pointed out hole that needed patching. Once you patch that hole in your procedures, then perhaps it could be said that something good came from this for future service customers.

I don't know that it's bad form. I understand what you mean but it shouldn't happen in the first place. If an LDS screwed up my reg and I caught it and they fixed it, they still screwed it up and I'd still want to warn people.

I have never received anything but great service and response from ScubaPro, but this is a distressing situation. Hopefully it is just an isolated incident rather than a procedural problem.

I would think that the LDS would have had a role in this also. I'd hope that they would inspect the computer for servicability also before handing it over to the customer / diver.

This is kind of funny "yes I know it is a pain for the customer" dive manufactures preach all the "this is life support equipment" and something like this happens. So it is ok for them to mess up your equipment but not ok for you to work on your own equipment. Yes mistakes do happen, but if you are preaching all the life stuff there should be multiple checks like in the aviation industry where they are really working on life support equipment. To the OP, it's good to here your shop is taking care of you.

I'm glad the OP posted the info. It lets those reading know that you cannot blindly accept what your LDS or the manufacturer hands you back after servicing. Divers have got to become the last check on their equipment because it is them that a mistake effects the most. Maybe the next guy will double check that his computer has screws or that the purge button on the newly serviced reg works, etc. Its obviously mandatory that the LDS and SP should fix the problem in this case quickly and efficiently (its called customer service and applies to whoever the manufacturer and shop might be), but it is also necessary to educate the causal diver that most failures occur after equipment servicing. The best practice is to at least do a rudimentary test on the equipment being serviced in the shop rather than testing it for the first time on the boat or in the water. IMO the LDS and manufacturers have got to get away from the this-is-rocket-science-you'll-never-understand-how-to-service-your-own-equipment way of thinking and embrace bringing the customer into the process. If not, then every time someone makes a mistake like this it should be broadcast from the rooftops because the word needs to get out that just because you had your equipment serviced doesn't mean that it was serviced properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom