Unattended boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just got back from another weekend on the mighty St. Lawrence River and am starting to notice an alarming trend... lots of small boats tied up to marker buoys with no boat minder... divers in the water below.

Coast Guard gets really angry at this and frankly, I think it's a pretty stupid practice. Anyone here make a credible case for leaving a boat unattended while its occupants go diving?

Doppler

Doppler once bubbled...
Anyone here make a credible case for leaving a boat unattended while its occupants go diving?
...folks do it all the time here... but of course it depends upon the dive site and current as well as exposure to weather and rough seas that might pull an anchor loose.

Shoot... there have been times we tied the boat off to bull kelp. :D

But then there have been times when we had to swim a ways to get back too.

One time we had to swim to shore... hike the beach so we were up current from the boat and swim back out to it.

Coast Guard gets really angry at this...Doppler [/B]

Ah, you must be talking about the craft I saw tied up at the Jodrey on the Long Weekend. Not a sole on board

I've done this in Kingston, were we had no current or rough water, Conditions were at the best (even then I double tied the craft) but in the Lawrence.. and at the Jod. Strong current, heavy boat traffic, long in-water time. For once I'll agree with you Doppler Sometimes you just have to say "What the h#ll were we thinking"

Silverback

Big or moving water this is a Bad Idea.

Way back in Dark Ages I had a boat stolen while unattended. This necessitated a 20+ mile swim in. (7.5 miles cross current, the current took us the rest of the way north) After that we dove in groups of 3, two down, one on the boat. The diving team members rotated to minimze gas uptake.

FT

As long as you can swim to shore, I don't see the problem. I frequently do this. If the site is further out, I don't. I also put out a long current line just in case.

If the dive is more serious then you need support anyway.

I'd love to sat I had a credible reason.We 'll dive all if the following parameters are met.1 NO deco diving.2 No bad vis.3 No current over .25 kt.4.Rarely on live bottom or anywhere you have to lay line to remain oriented.

It is common practice in the British Virgin Islands. Generally conditions are pretty benign.

- Permanent moorings

- Other (dive) boats nearby

- Close to the shore

Security is not really a big issue - its pretty hard to hide a 40' sailboat - I guess you could lose a few things from onboard but people instinctively keep an eye out for one another.

Silverback once bubbled...

Ah, you must be talking about the craft I saw tied up at the Jodrey on the Long Weekend. Not a sole on board

I've done this in Kingston, were we had no current or rough water, Conditions were at the best (even then I double tied the craft) but in the Lawrence.. and at the Jod. Strong current, heavy boat traffic, long in-water time. For once I'll agree with you Doppler Sometimes you just have to say "What the h#ll were we thinking"

Silverback

Actually this was Memorial Day... a small RIB on the Jodrey and an AVON on the America (on Sunday). Both deserted. Couple of years back, saw an Avon anchored in the bay above the Jodrey with the engine running and no one abord! Everytime a motor yacht came by -- or a tour boat or freighter -- the bottom end would smash against the rocks. Yep, you have to ask...

Take care

The last time I was on the Jodrey we left the boat while diving. The boat was backed into the cove. The boat was moored with two lines off the stern to trees on shore. A bow line tied into one of the line that are underwater. Leaving a small boat in a cove with three solid lines and the dives having really close shore line, no problem! Even with current that is running at the Jodrey.

Now, what I have seen and think is really stupid, is mooring to a wreck, several miles from shore, in windy conditions and leaving the boat alone. Way not a good idea. I don't even care if you put a second line down to the wreck or anchor. If you come up away from the boat, you would still be as dead as if it drifted away from you.

Happy diving!

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom